1998 Tahoe Push Button 4wd Not working.

Hey guys this is my first post here. Thanks for having me. Now to the problem. I have a 1998 Tahoe with LT trim 5.7 Vortec and My push button

4wd isnt or doesnt seem to engage. The lights dont stay on. I push it to 2w Hi it stays there for about 20 secs then goes off, samething when I push the 4Hi, 4Lo or auto 4wd. I can hear something clicking underneith the dashboard. Also I hear something like the xfer case in the rear but Im not sure if its in 4wd or not. Any help would be great. thanks.
Reply to
sderden

I had a 98 Blazer and had the same problem only it started with other electric problems such as the headlights working only in daylight. Anyway, it finally got stuck in 4 wheel drive so I brought it in and they had to take the whole dash out to replace somekind of relay. It cost me $800 and I immediatly took it over and traded it in on an 04 Avalanche. By the way at the dealership I was told it still would not go into 4LO. Buy an Avalanche. Best truck I've ever owned so far.

Reply to
steve

Sounds like an encoder motor....$$$ Put the truck in some sand or mud and see if the front wheels will spin when you mash it, see if it's actually going into 4x4.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin