1999 2 x 4 Suburban Transmission problem

Snoman,
My buddy has a 1999 Suburban with a possible transmission problem. When the transmission is in drive a clicking sound can be heard from the transmission area under the truck. The noise is dependent on the
speed on the engine. The clicking can be heard intermittently, not all of the time. It disappears when the tranny is placed in neutral while moving or coasting (basically when the tranny is not under load). Any suggestions?

Sounds more like a u-joint problem than a transmission problem.
Replaced the U-Joint. The sound went away. Thanks for the advice, saved a trip to the tranny shop.

You didn't tell anyone if it is 2wd or 4wd which will make a difference because the problem could also be within the transfer case.

His header says "2x4" so one assumes it's 2WD.
Sure it is the tranny? Ours has a "ticking" sound and it could fool you into thinking it is from the tranny area, but it in fact is the gasket from the exhaust manifold to the pipe on the passenger side. Need to drop it tomorrow and put in a new gasket. It's needed it for a few months, but I"m finally getting around to it. It will be nice to have a quiet truck again! The gasket is gone enough to feel the puffs of exhaust when you carefully reach up behind it. It has enough play I guess to tap the metal and make an annoying rattle.

Just completed the exhaust flange leak repair. Put a new gasket in the passenger side and reused the driver side. Neither looked bad, but figured I'd replace the known noisy side while I had it down. My guess is the pipes just shifted a bit over 100K miles! Oh well, the boys liked the sound of the open 5.7L anyway. I remember the first one I heard as a little kid when my Dad fired it up. They thought I should leave it that way for Mom to drive!!! She on the other hand about jumped out of her shorts when I fired it up. :-)
All back together and as quiet as the day it was new. Simple $9 fix and some time with a socket wrench and torch this morning.
Moral to the story: Do yourself a favor and look close before running to a tranny shop and getting screwed over....

Other than what Kevin said about an exhaust leak, I was thinking loose bolts on the torque converter. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM