1999 Chevy Tahoe Steering Gone Nuts

Hello,
I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe and it seems to be having a problem with the steering. Every now and then, whenever it wants actually, the steering
seems to just go loose. That is, if you're driving down the road and you go around a corner the vehicle steers in the right direction, but then it's like the steering wheel goes loose. The truck continues going around the corner, but the steering wheel has no resistance and goes free. Once it seems to correct itself the steering kicks in again, and because you've tried to correct or compensate for the free play in the steering, the vehicle then tends to turns in the opposite direction. Having this occur can cause you to go towards the other side of the road into oncoming traffic, which can by scary and not a good thing. Does any one out there know what the problem might be? Is the steering box bad or what?
Sincerely; Can be a scary ride

Does this vehicle happen to have the AWD (All Wheel Drive) system on it? If it does, it sounds like one of the wheel speed sensors has gone bad... I experienced a similar thing on a 1991 Astro Van with the AWD system... the front left sensor was bad and was giving the computer errant information, it was telling the computer that this wheel was going a different speed than the other three. The computer was trying to compensate by applying power to the other wheels which resulted in the vehicle suddenly swerving one way or the other. Like yours, it also did it randomly, whenever it felt like it, so the dealer had to hook up his laptop to the port and monitor the sensors while I drove the vehicle around until it did it, then he could see what happened and had a record of it on his laptop... It was indeed a very strange experience not knowing if or when your vehicle was going to suddenly change lanes! They fixed it by replacing the sensor and tested the whole system, just to make sure the others were all okay.
Good Luck with it, and come back and post the outcome when you get it fixed. Websurfer
Hello Websurfer;
Thanks for replying to my question, but my answer is, no. It doesn't have the AWD system, so it must be someting else.
thanks, Eric
websurfer wrote:

It could be the evo speed sensor .

I had a 97 silverado 1500 that had simmilar problem and the dealer installed a new sensor on the stearing shaft in the engine compartment.the sensor that I cant think of the name of had to do with the stearing assist so it would stear easy at slow speeds and harder at hiway speeds

I did this to mine 3 yrs ago and left it that way since.

I did this to mine 3 yrs ago and left it that way since.

Mine did the same thing.It was the steering sensor.