1999 K1500 Fuel Pump

I have a 1999 Chevy K1500 that I have recently bought. I love the truck but the electric fuel pump makes a fairly loud whining sound when running. If you turn the key to the on position it will whine until the pressure is
built up, then it stops making noise. As soon as it's started again the whining is back. I'm being told that this is normal for some Chevy truck models. Does this sound right? Anybody else have this issue?
Thanks Brian
i have heard the same thing. its normal. my 2000 z71 does NOT do it, BUT a buddy of mine has a 01 z71 and its done it since almost new.

but
Completely normal.
Doc

Thanks all of you, I can now sleep at night with out thinking the pumps ready to quit on me.

but
Actually, you do still have to think about the pump quiting on you. In the world of electric fuel pumps, some make noise and some don't, but they all fail. Always keep more than a quarter tank of gas so the pump will run cooler, but sometimes that doesn't help either. As soon as you get about 100k miles, you can pretty much plan on a fuel pump failure. If you're lucky, it'll quit in your driveway with very little gas in it. I figure mine is going to fail 10 minutes after I fill up and on the hiway in rush hour traffic. .

If
this
Of course I realize that it will eventually fail, I was just concerned that the noise was abnormal.

truck
is
the
I have a 97` and the noise was loud. I could hear it when I was driving with the window open.Took it to a friend that`s a Chev mechanic and he said,WOW,you got a quiet one. Does that answer your question?
1/4 Mile Junkies