1999 K1500 Suburban - Fuel Pressure Prior to Start

Sorry I know this is a cross post, but I REALLY need some advice (time sensitive). I won't make this a habbit, I promise...
Hello All,
I have a 1999 K1500 Suburban, That I am having fuel pressure issues
with. If the fuel rail is bled down, the fuel pressure does not come up, until after I crank it. I am not hearing the fuel pump, when I first put the key to run, prior to starting. I know there is a circuit
that runs off the oil pressure switch, but I know little else. There has got to be another circuit, that when the truck ignition key is first placed to run, before the engine turns, causes the fuel rail to pressurize to the 60-66 psi that the book keeps talking about.
I got to get this thing going. My wife's mother just passed, and the other cars I own are really not worthy to be in the funeral procession.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I replaced the fuel filter and pump about a year ago.
I can actually get the suburban running, if I "prime" the air horn with
about a 1/4 cup of fuel, but would hate to take it on the road this way. Friend has a 1998 Chevy truck. We swapped fuel relays, under the
hood, just to see if this would help - No Joy.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Scott
Email me I have extensive GM manuals.

*don't* get your Chev running, rent a vehicle for the trip.
I just returned from two weeks in Florida and paid under $200 a week for unlimited mileage on a eight passanger Chevy van.
If push comes to shove, it's worth thinking about.
Check at the fuel pump relay with key on, vehicle not running for voltage from ecm. Verify voltage in and out of relay. Sounds to me like a fuel pump relay. The oil pressure switch is often misunderstood. People think it is there to cut fuel in a loss of oil pressure situation. It actually does just what yours is doing. If there is a no start due to fuel pressure the oil pressure switch will turn on the fuel pump when it senses oil pressure. It is a kind of a secondary fail safe system to turn your pump on.

Thanks to all for your input. It was the fuel pump. I don't get it. The symtoms were as described above. I t/s with a VOM meter all the way back to the fuel pump and everything was O.K. per the manual. I bit the bullet shelled out 477.00 at the Chevy dealer for a Delco pump/sender assy., and all is well now. Of course the tank was 7/8 full - that was fun...
Thanks again.
Scott wrote:

I know that $477 hurt a bit. I just did the pump and the sender on my 88 2 dealers near me and one quoted me $333.00 and the other $555.00 I asked is that installed? and you know what the answer was.
I got one for $166 plus $40 for the pump and it's fine.
I too, just shelled out $300 for a fuel pump for my '99 K1500 pickup. The engineer who came up with this contraption should be shot !!! I friend suggested removing the bed off the truck for easier access to the tank, that was a good piece of info. Removing those stupid fuel line fittings from the pump would have been impossible otherwise. We even bought the special tool and it was still a pain in the ass!! I bought a Bosch brand pump from Autozone with a lifetime warranty, but if this happens again, this truck is history !!! Wouldn't a simple electric pump mounted to the frame have served the same purpose, and have been alot cheaper and easier to change. Modern technology once again screws the common man !!!
On 18 Mar 2006 13:20:43 -0800, "Trapshooter870"

Did yours have the problem with the fuel gauge also? My 98 left me stranded several times on the highway before the pump quit. I would be cruising along with what I thought was about a 1/2 tank of gas and PPFFT, no more fuel. I thought it was just my eyes(spell that bifocals) not reading the gauge correctly. I was told the gauge sending unit was part of the pump assembly. Had to have it fixed as I had no tools at the time and location. Cost slightly more than $300.00 :<{
It seems this is a common problem with that era truck. The roadside assistance guy told me he came across it all the time. Just damn glad it did not happen in the middle of a winter trip in the snow.
Extremely poor design if you ask me.
I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply www.outdoorfrontiers.com www.SecretWeaponLures.com A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!