1999 SILVERADO transfer case cluches

I have a 1999 silverado I was leaking transfer case fluid. After the mechanic replaced the seal a few weeks later I tried to use the 4wheel drive. It didn't work. Last week I took the truck in to the mechanic
because the 4wheel drive wasn't working yet. After they checked it they told me the cluches in the transfer case were burnt out. How could I tell if they put in the wrong fluid?

Was the fluid in it red or blue?
Doc

"bcspec" wrote

Which seal did the mechanic replace? Was the t/case low on fluid before you had the leak fixed? Was the 4x4 working before the leak...or had you not used it for a while?
The fluid should be blue. Even if the mechanic had put red ATF in the t/case, I can't see it burning up the clutch pack that quickly. They did use ATF for some of the clutched t/cases in the early years of the auto t/cases.
Even with the correct fluid, we overhaul these t/cases on a regular basis. Often the clutch pack burning up is the result of problems in the front differential.
Ian