1999 Vortec 350 ?

Ok,

I'm considering a 1999 GM Vortec 350 out of a Yukon. Vin Code R for a engine swap project. Does anyone know what would be involved with running a carburetor on this engine?

I'm aware of the obvious.... run an aftermarket intake setup for a carburetor (Eldebrock makes two different versions) and then also install a carburetor.

The details are in the next part. Can you run a regular GM HEI distributor and would you need to change the camshaft and any other parts.

Yes I realize that more power can be made running the fuel injection,and better fuel economy.

I'm considering doing this for simplicity reasons....

Engine would power a Toyota 5 speed on a 86 land cruiser FYI.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

I do not see any "big" issues. You need to match intake and revert to a older style distibutor with HEI to simplify it. You need to consider cooling issue and weight too. You may already have the 350 but a Vortec 4.3 would work better because it would be a better fit, easier to cool and weigh less too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I'm told the 350 engine weighs less than the inline 6 that it would replace. (source: one of the dedicated land cruiser web sites). I am concerned about the cooling to some degree, and I do have the 350 so that's what we're going to see how it runs. They is a "kit" that provide motors mounts along with an adapter to retain the stock Toyota transmission and no change to the drive line.

in my view its cost effective to go with the 350. I'm not opposed to the 4.3.... but in all my research the 350 and new version of the GM V-8 are proven engine swaps and there is a knowledge base out there on the GM 350 swap. I've not seen much of anything dealing with the

4.3 in regard to swapping into a old model land cruiser.

I have a good "old school" 4 core brass radiator now. But as you observed...and some may know these trucks have a small radiator in actual width. I plan to run a GM fan clutch and one of the appropriate type GM OEM fans for this style motor. Most likely will have a friend fabricate a good fan shroud or maybe I can adapt one of a pickup or Yukon... we'll see how it goes.

I'm rounding up parts for a summer project. I like the cruiser, but the stock inline six really not so great on the pavement. Off road and slow its fine, but...outside of that.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

Reply to
David Johnson

I forgot is was a land cruiser. That SUV's engine is based off of the GM workhorse 235 in line 6 that toyota bought all the rights to in late 60's from GM (no joke) so yes it is heavy. As far as the 4.3 is concern, the bellohousing is he same and mounts are not a issue eihter as the 4.3 is just basically a 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off it. Get you a custom core radiator and consider a flex fan over a clutch fan if you plan to play off road a lot as it will give you more consistant cooling and lower under hood temps.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Whatever you do...skip the 4.3 (z?) engine. I've got one in a 93 short bed reg cab 2x and it runs nicely...but it has the power of three squirrels with broken legs...especially at low RPM

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer

I bet you are running it on 87 octane and into a tall effective axle ratio too (87 octane can really hurt low RPM power in that engine at time) THe 4.3 responds well to mods just like a 5.7 does and if yours runs poorly it is how you are applying and using it not because it is a 4.3 or a bad engine design. A 4.3 can really "walk the dog" if setup, geared and used correctly.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I know that some of the newer 4.3 engines put out around 200HP. I'm of the belief that if I go through with this project I might as well go with a V-8 because I know it will have plenty of power.

I"fm not sure what the 86 land cruiser weighs but think its enough to justify a 350.

I also think there is more support for parts and modifications on the

350.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

Actually there is a LOT of aftermarket parts for the 4.3 because it has been around for about 25 years now and it is the only "Small Block" based engine still in production usage while 350 was killed in

2001.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yes,

thanks for making that point. I'm aware that GM makes a HEI distributor for roller-cam equipped v-8's and I'm sure others do as well. That is good to know. I think the GM part runs about $250.

I agree with the pro's of fuel injection. I've not decided to do away with that just yet but there are some issue on this swap using a 1999 GM vortec 5.7 V-8 into a 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser. (1) most likely will have to change exhaust manifolds to the old style "rams horn" type which is a problem for the EGR pipe (2) will have to fabricate locations for oxygen sensors (not a big deal. (3) will have to setup a high pressure fuel system along with a return back to the tank. (4) will have to do all the wiring . All of which I'm able to do.. Not clear to me at this time how to solve the EGR issue.

If I go old school with this engine. I install a carb, an intake, and a new distributor, and a low pressure electric fuel pump and I'm ready to go, along with the exhaust manifold I referenced above.

Certainly the fuel injection has advantages in performance and fuel economy. I believe that one might be able to have the ECM programmed for no emissions but I'm not sure how the engine would run (no EGR).

I'm exploring my options at this point.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

You couldn't be more correct. The parts and mods to suport the 350 are endless.

Reply to
Roy

Reply to
David Johnson

David,

Ok to email you on the above topic?

Elbert

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

Do a Google search for aftermarket fuel injection systems. You could probably save yourself a ton of time and headaches. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

If go with the fuel injection my intent is go with the GM OEM setup along with a painless wiring harness.

I bought a complete engine assembly... 5.7 Vortec, pulleys, PS.A/C engine harness, complete fuel system... If it was going in a like vehicle it would almost be "plug and play".

I've never used an aftermarket fuel injection setup, except one time I tried a Holley TBI replacement throttle body on my 92 K1500 and it would never run right...swapped back OEM throttle body and everything fine.

I'm sure there will be some issues along the way with the GM stuff but I have some experience with the older setups and I still have some friends who are GM shop mechanics who I can ask questions of or get help from.

Painless harness best price I've found is about $650. Summit ,

*60212".

Basically I want under the hood to be a 1999 Vortec....the rest will be1986 Toyota land cruiser.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

Reply to