1999 zr2 transfer case

I mistakenly left my truck in four high and traveled at highway speed for about 10 miles. Now my tranfer case makes a pop/jerk when in four wheel drive at a set interval and was told by a friend it is probably the chain. Is it worthwhile to change just the chain, or go ahead and rebuild the whole thing. The guy who told me it was probably the chain used to have a transmission shop, but unless it is pretty straight forward to fix it, I would rather take it to someone who does it everyday. How hard is it? Thanks

Reply to
hootie

. . ====== ====== hootie wrote...... I mistakenly left my truck in four high and traveled at highway speed for about 10 miles. Now my tranfer case makes a pop/jerk when in four wheel drive at a set interval and was told by a friend it is probably the chain. Is it worthwhile to change just the chain, or go ahead and rebuild the whole thing. The guy who told me it was probably the chain used to have a transmission shop, but unless it is pretty straight forward to fix it, I would rather take it to someone who does it everyday. How hard is it? Thanks ======= ======= It's not worthwhile to just change the chain.

It's real hard.

yer welcome

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his coffee..adds a little crownroyal~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

It is not that hard to change a chain. The fact that it has a regular interval to noise supports the chain theory. I would change it because loose pieces from it could damage the reet of the Tcase

Reply to
SnoMan

is not that hard to change a chain. The fact that it has a regular

============ ============ Sno, for you it's not hard. It's not hard for me.

For him....well.....I'm leary at best.

I've got air tools and a drive on lift....and the shop to do it in.

He's likely got himself a set of craftsman wrenches..... and a 2 ton floor jack........and the wifes clean, spic'n'span driveway to do it on.

And.....I wouldn't suggest to "just change the chain". (his questions.......not mine)

~:~ Marsh ~sips his coffee~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Thanks guys. I ended up buying a used case at salvage, it has a thirty day warranty so I figured I would give it a shot for $200. I was looking at the case, and I obviously have to have the front gasket, but what about the rear shaft output area and front drive output shaft. I know the case I got includes everything back to where a rubber boot comes out to the rear drive shaft area, is this the only seal there? Marsh, you are right, I only have the hand tools and the lift, hopefully it'll be a little simpler changing the whole case.

Reply to
hootie