2 questions need help

I own a 2002 GMC Yukon XL. Have had it for 14 months. In the last 4 weeks I have headed out early AM for work only to find my battery dead. The only thing that is using juice that I know of is a radar detector that never has been unhooked since the day I bought the vehicle. Local dealer tells me (after 2 trips in) that it is the detector that's leaching too much juice and causing battery drain and my daily drive times, 3 miles to and from work, are not long enuf to fully recharge. Seems odd to me that this would start happening after 13 months with no problems. Comments or suggestions?

Also, I would like to know how to easily drain the windshield solvent tank so I can add RainX. Doable?

Thanks

JDS

Reply to
Jack Slater

Don't know about the first question.

The rainX additive that you add to your tank is worthless. I have never had luck with it. It has always left streaks on my hood paint, and never actually worked on the windsheild. I just use the normal rainX every 2 weeks.

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

suggestions?

Reply to
Crooked-Ridez

First question doesn't sound right. I don't think it is your radar detector. Here is a quick run down to check.

Shut off everything (inplug the detector) and then use an ammeter connected to the negative battery terminal to the negative battery cable. It technically should be 0, but something less than say .01mA is just fine. This draw would be the ECM (computer/brain) and radio/clock. Your looking for a substantial draw here, something around 1 amp to drain a good battery over night (1 amp is 1,000ma). Unless for some reason your battery is weak (drained really good even just once can kill them) I wouldn't suspect your detector. I'd also tell the dealer to shut up and fix the problem, and that they are cheap.

As to the whiper fluid, I mixed some with my $0.99 blue stuff and it worked all right. But there should be a tube at the bottom attached to the reservoir with a small clamp around it. Loosen this clamp, and slide it down the tube and pull the tube off. Personally, I'd just drain it and then put the new stuff in....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

The dealer is full of crap! I would pull the battery and have it tested with a quality tester, let it set over night, then test it again! That should almost rule out the battery. If it tests fine both times, the real fun begins! Use the fluid in the reservoir then add the rain-X washer fluid. I have used the stuff for years. Rain-X Bug Remover for most of the year and Rain-X Ice Melt for the winter. There actually isn't much actual Rain-X in the fluid, so you will actually want to treat the windshield first with some straight from the yellow bottle.

suggestions?

Reply to
Shades

The dealer is full of crap. There are tech bulletins out on this one already. An associate of mine had the exact same problem, and after 3 morning sessions of jump starts on the '03 Denali and trips to the dealer, it was declared to have been caused by not parking the vehicle 100% straight and level. Supposedly caused the self-leveling system to drain the battery. ??WTF?? But, problem hasn't resurfaced since last trip to the dealer, about a month ago.

Reply to
other

tech bulletins - really. is there a way I can find them?

Reply to
Jack Slater