2000 Chevy S10 4x4 ZR2

Just canvasing to see if anyone else has come accross their 4x4 not engaging (lo or hi) when the dash console buttons are pressed? I took my truck to the dealer last week and they didn't sound too assuring about
what it was. They said it was a computer module that was not responding and that it was corroded. Does that sound about right? It's gonna cost me around a $1000 bucks canadian...so that is like $100 american bucks? LOL Any help would rock! Any alternatives would too!!! Thanks in advance. Joe
try clearing codes by puling crty lamp fuse for 30 seconds first