2000 Chevy Silverado Emergency Parking Brake Pad Replacement

Rather than selling out $450 to change these pads, I'm going to attempt doing it myself.

I've raced street motorcycles for years and have changed numerous rotors & pads, so I assume that many of the widgets are the same, just on a larger scale.

Any hints, tips or gotchas?

Thanks,

Steve Clark Sterling, VA

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
Reply to
tightsqueezeracing

Shep

If you have not used your 2000 Emergency Brake for parking on a weekly basis,

the 'brake shoe in the disc brake hat' might have caused a 1/8" rust ridge

on the parking brake drum..... It's a tough job to remove the outer disc

brake rear unit when trying to get at the parking brake shoes....

Bigger hammer, might not work well while causing damage!

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

They are not pads, they are shoes. Removing the brake caliper and rotors will be the first step. If (as another poster mentioned) you have problems removing the rotors due to the afore mentioned rust ridge, you can try one other trick that I've used. Drive out one of the wheel studs (it will fall inside the rotor and you can retrieve it afterwards), turn the rotor until the hole where the wheel stud was lines up with the 8mm/5/16" bolt that hold the shoe to the backing plate (the hole will line up with bolt), remove the bolt and then try to take the rotor off.

Once the rotor is off, you will see how the rear shoe is retained and adjusted, fairly simple from there.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I was charged $160 to have my emergency brakes replaced on my '01 Silverado

1500. The parts were $56 if I remember correctly. It wasn't a huge job (I watched). When it was time to repair the emergency brakes on my 3500 Sierra...that was an entirely different matter.
Reply to
Advocate54