2000 GM K1500 Ball Joints

Took the truck in for an alignment today at the dealer. Told me my passenger side upper ball joint dust seal is shot. I inquired about replacing it and
he tells me have to buy the entire upper control arm at $400 Cdn. + labour. He tells me it is fine for now so just keep running it. Can someone explain why this is sold as one piece?
Dazed and Confused Danno

I dunno about the 2000, but my 1997 has the upper ball joint *riveted* to the upper control arm. Factory service manual procedure for replacement is to grind off the rivet heads, drive the rivets out and replace with new ball joint using bolts in place of the rivets. I'm guessing he's looking at those rivets and making an ass-u-me decision that its all a single unit.
VLJ

"mxz1972" wrote

I'm not sure...the service manual shows that on both the old and new style trucks (they were both in service that year)...the upper ball joints can be replaced separately. They must be lazy at this dealership.
Ian
Tell him to look at his GM manual under "upper ball joint replacement". Ask him to explain where "replace entire upper control arm" is shown.
Drill out the rivets and replace the upper ball joint. Make sure to re-check your alignment after reassembly.

and be sure to use Grade 8's to hold it in

All good advice. Did this job not long ago on an '85 1500 and then a '79 El Camino. Get a good spring compressor before starting. Be sure to tape up and mark the alignment shims between the upper control arm and frame as to their postions. I'd also replace the knurled shank bolts that hold the upper control arms to the frame if the knurls are worn at all. May as well put new bushings in the control arms while you've got them off. It will ride nicer. Hope this helps.
Garrett Fulton