2000 Silverado 4X4 diff

Hi all,
I just bought a used Silverado, I was checking things out and noticed both the rear and front differenial oils are a thick white... In my expierence
this is not normal. However, I decide to post just incase it is some special GM diff Oil. Any thoughts... my first would be water in there.
I also noticed the cruise contol is no longer working... I checked the fuse it was not burnt but I changed it anyway... no change... any thoughts?
Thanks everyone
I would say you defiantly have water in the differentials. I'd get that changed SOON!
nospam

Thanks, I will have to do that this weekend...
Silven

Well I went to my local Chevy dealer and he told me it was normal for synthetic oil will turn a thick cream white color... he told me not to worry about it...
nevlis

Yes, it will..........if it has water in it. Change the oil and find a new dealer. H
"Hairy" wrote

Not so fast....synthetic fluid does have a bit of creamy color to it. I wouldn't get down on the dealership just yet. Especially if you check the fluid when the vehicle has just been driven.
Ian

Yes I checked the oil about 15 minutes after it was driven... I remember seeing normal differential fluid that has water into it and it turns a greyish white. The color of my differential fluid is like a thick cream and extremely white and slick. When I explained in to the dealer he was perfectly comfortable... he could have easily sold me new diff fluid.
Thanks

I bow to your greater experience. Still, "thick, white, creamy" differential oil just doesn't seem right to me. H

The diff oil color definately caught me off guard when I checked it.
That is why I started this thread.
Thanks everyone

We used water detection paste. http://www.lindequipment.net/paste.htm
Al