2000 Silverado 5.3 governed?

Page 1 of 2
I hit 100 in my 2000 Z71 with the 5.3 the other day, (yeah, yeah, I know), and it seemed to stumble once I passed that mark. I got off it right away but I'm curious to know whether or not the top speed on this vehicle is
governed. If it is, can it be changed and how will that affect warranty?
Thanks, Rich
--
Return address modified for SPAM protection. Remove windy to reply.

AFAIK it is governed at 100. Seems I read this about my sub too but forgot where and how low. Larry

I think it's 108 mph on my Yuk. It's all about the tires speed rating as that's what sets the limit.
--
John
"Anything you say can & will be misquoted & used against you"

Haawww Haawww Haawww Haawww Haawww
nospam

Your dealer can reflash the pcm to remove the speed gov. but they only do it for police and other veh.but if you know a guy.....

When I bought a power chip for my 88 S-10 a few years ago, the documentation that came with the chip mentioned a rev-limiter and illuded to a speed limiter in some cases. In a 2000, the computer would certainly have the inputs/outputs to accomplish it - but I don't have any direct knowledge of one. I do know that a few years ago all of the speed-bikes did equal top-speeds in some of the time-trials (173MPH) - and that it was widely speculated that there was either a rev or speed limiter in the computers somewhere (speed was more heavily speculated cause they were different brand bikes). Now a days the thing to watch out for seems to be the little black boxes that tell on you. ie: broadcast your acceleration and top-speed history to every cop you pass. Beeee scaaaaaaaared! LOL. Elliott
Rich wrote:

Yes it is set at 100. It can be changed BUT not easily, it is set because A. the tires are not speed rated for any higher. B. It's a TRUCK not a sports car, guess what happens if you have to rapidly avoid something? I'll give you a hint, Roll, Roll, Roll your truck, heavily down the road.... and YES it will void the powertrain warranty, because it would be considered "modification for racing" regardless if you race it or not. I'm kind of surprised Manufacturers don't void a lot more if they find a chip in them.
--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY

by the way, it will NOT void your warranty. http://www.hypertech.com/faq.html#voidwarranty

hmmmm

No. Federal law prohibits a dealer from voiding your warranty just because you are using aftermarket parts, with only two exceptions:
A warranty claim can be denied only if the part is the cause of damage, This is the part they use to void warrantee coverage if you use a K&N filter, or other part and it causes problems.
or if it adversely affects the emissions or the emissions system. Guess what adjusting the programming of the factory computer does? Ford and GM have already stated that they will NOT cover warrantee work on vehicles that have a chip in them or if the factory programming has been altered.
--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY

"Steve W." wrote

We had a case last year of a Corvette that came in running rough. Long story short.....had a bunch of bent valves. Now, this is pretty much impossible with stock software. You can't over rev it unless you happened to grab a very low gear at high speeds (which poses it's own difficulties.) The customer had non-stock intake, non-stock exhaust, and non-stock wheels and tires. Took the engine apart to check possible problems with the timing chain and gears. Nothing found.
Anyway, after some bickering and fighting, the customer gave up and paid for a brand new motor as the district service manager refused warranty on the engine.
We suspected that he had reprogrammed the software at some time, but (as far as I know, someone can correct me if this is wrong) apparently you can revert back to factory software quite easily. I suggested to the DSM that it might not be a bad idea if GM includes some sort of flagging mechanism to tip off the dealer tech's if non-factory software has been installed at any time.
Ian

Ya know Ian I bet in a couple of years cars like the Corvette will come with OnStar as standard and when the car is started with modified software the OnStar system will let GM know that you did it. Probably will be powered by Bill Gates!
LOL
Brian
NoSpam wrote:

security system :)

http://www.microsoft.com/automotive/windowsautomotive/default.mspx
nospam
NoSpam wrote:

Update" along with the "change engine oil" messages then?

Yeah, or your car's computer will lock up while driving down the expressway. You'll have to pull over to reboot before you can take off again.
nospam