2000 Silverado C1500 Z71 4WD-Seeking input b/4 purchase

I?m considering buying a 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 4WD 1/2 ton I?m seeking input prior to making the purchase. It has a 5.3 liter V-8. It has about 68,000 and appears to have been well maintained and not worked very much. Are there any inherent problems I should be aware of or have checked out before making the purchase from the private party selling the truck? Thanks!

Reply to
griffin

! purchased the mate of this truck 2 1/2 years ago with 190K on it and am very pleased with it. Have had 3 issues with it. Auto 4x4 push button module replaced, power window regulators replaced and I repaired a leak in the back plate on the water pump. Excellent ride and works well in the snow.

Later Jimmie

Reply to
Jimmie

I have a 2000 Chev Silverado Z71 4WD 1500 Ext Cab LT 5.3 V8 truck with 59,500 miles......

Problems all minor except for the 2 Front brake ABS speed sensors ID

15112379.. replaced at 59,500 miles... If both Front sensors go or get dirty.. Poor brakes with too much ABS action below 5 MPH.. "Gas Station scare" Otherwise these Thick Rotor Chevy ABS Brakes are Superb!!!!!!!

Replaced Compass/Temp Mirror, Fixed heated side mirrors 3 times, replaced 1 window regulator, Replaced 4x4 Dash Push Buttons, Greased drive line Yoke spline 3 times, replaced 5 FireSt P metric 165 tires with Michelin LTX ATs to correct steering pull to Right, had spare tire shim added so tire crank works, replaced both day time running bulbs to HD version, had steering shaft greased once. Also had both rear 1/2 doors fixed cause they would not latch in cold weather... Am Having repeated glue probs with all door seals.. And the front window rubber molding can 'buzz' at under wind conditions.

Those Michelin LT LTX AT tires wear Very well at 59K... Add some road noise. I do live in WI Snow Country....

Added to truck were ARE hard toneau cover, Westin side nerf bars, and some box weight that looked nice & improved an already nice ride....

My 2000 Silverado is a Spring 2000 build defined by the ability to add the 2 vertical rubber box strips between box & cab.... What they do... I don't know... but I added 'em....

All in all, my 2000 Truck (late build) is a very nice Truck.... I'm very glad I own it.... having the ($2K) 6 Yr/ 72,000 mi GM Warranty. Note: the last 3 years cover a lot less items than the 3 Yr original Warr...

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

I have one of these trucks and the biggest problem so far was the intake manifold gasket had to be replaced. ($600) Very common problem. Seems as though the Dexcool antifreeze GM use starts to deteriorate around 60K miles. Check to see if it has been changed. If not change it right away. Also had the 4x4 push button problem, that is easily fixed by removing the button assembly and resoldering the PC board. A friend also has one of these, his trouble is with a tapping noise in engine on cold days until it warms up. Mechanic told him it had something to do with a change in the design of the pistons, something about the piston skirt. Should not be a real problem though. Otherwise, smooth riding, strong running vehicle.

Steve L.

Reply to
Trapshooter870

Just remember two more things to look for!!! Check behind the rubber strips along the bottom of the doors, rust hides here !!! Also on the friends truck the backing plates on the rear brakes rusted through already!! Steve L.

Reply to
Trapshooter870

"Jimmie1" wrote: > ! purchased the mate of this truck 2 1/2 years ago with 190K > on it and > am very pleased with it. Have had 3 issues with it. Auto 4x4 > push > button module replaced, power window regulators replaced and I > repaired a leak in the back plate on the water pump. Excellent > ride > and works well in the snow. > > Later > Jimmie > > > On 21 Feb 2005 22:02:38 -0500, griffin > > wrote: > > >I?m considering buying a 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 4WD 1/2 ton > I?m > >seeking input prior to making the purchase. It has a 5.3 > liter V-8. It > >has about 68,000 and appears to have been well maintained and > not > >worked very much. Are there any inherent problems I should be > aware of > >or have checked out before making the purchase from the > private party > >selling the truck? Thanks!

Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent input I received on my post. I now have some good information to work on. Thanks!

Reply to
griffin

I have this model that I bought new. No problems whatsoever at 120.000 miles.

It has ample power and is a great ride. Watch which tires you put on it as this was my first 4X4 and I bought a set that is extremely noisy.

Good luck.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt