2000 Silverado Defrost

Does the A/C compressor run in defrost mode in these new generation trucks? Mine doesn't. Is it normal or do I have a problem?
Thanks;
Mike T 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71
ext cab stepside 5.3, AT
snipped-for-privacy@epix.net wrote:

That is normal on most any vehicle, it does this to dry the air to make it defrost quicker.
2000 Z71 GMC My A/C compressor runs when the defroster is on. Does yours run when the A/C is on? Sometimes in the cold weather the refrigerant leaks. When the refrigerant pressure drops to low the compressor will not operate.

I'm not sure about my truck, but in an older GM car I have the owners manual states that it will run when in defrost mode if the outdoor temperature is above freezing.
Al

ajtessier wrote:

I have a 2000 silverado and mine runs on defrost
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 23:13:51 GMT, "ajtessier"

It is supposed to run but the pressure of the charge drops with temp and when it gets cold enough the low pressure cutout switch will prevent it from running. If system is alos low on charge it may reach cutoff tempature sooner. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

I have only owned the truck for a week. The temp during that time has not risen above 25F. It's 5F right now. The Owners manual states the AC will not engage at temps where it would be ineffective. My ulterior motive here is just this... I have a 3 month warrantee that covers A/C, but I can't get the A/C to kick in because it's just too cold to work(according to the manual. If it doesn't work I want get it fixed now. If the AC kicks in in defrost mode then I could confirm proper operation. Of course mebbe it won't kick in even in defrost if it's too cold. What I need is one of you nice folks to go outside when it's real cold, turn on your Defrost in your 2000 Chevy or equivelent and tell me if the compressor engages... Lot to ask I know. It's cold out there...
Thanks;
Mike T
Important: For A/C compressor operation, ambient air temperature must be above 3C (38F).
paul
wrote:

manual
is
I have only owned the truck for a week. The temp during that time has not risen above 25F. It's 5F right now. The Owners manual states the AC will not engage at temps where it would be ineffective. My ulterior motive here is just this... I have a 3 month warrantee that covers A/C, but I can't get the A/C to kick in because it's just too cold to work(according to the manual. If it doesn't work I want get it fixed now. If the AC kicks in in defrost mode then I could confirm proper operation. Of course mebbe it won't kick in even in defrost if it's too cold. What I need is one of you nice folks to go outside when it's real cold, turn on your Defrost in your 2000 Chevy or equivelent and tell me if the compressor engages... Lot to ask I know. It's cold out there...
Thanks;
Mike T
On 5 Feb 2007 16:23:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@epix.net wrote:

This is a bit extreme but put truck in garage and hook of a good tight hose to exhause to plumb exhaust outside of garage and seal door around hose to [revent exhaust backwash. Let truck run for a bit and it will heat up garage and you will be able to check out A/C operatio. (it is important to get a good seal on exhasut! extension). ----------------- TheSnoMan.com