2000 Tahoe Questions

I am looking at trading in my 99 Blazer and getting a 2000 Tahoe. I have a few questions though. I have noticed that some 2000 Tahoes have the 5.7 L engine, and some have the 5.3 L engine. If the truck has the 5.7 L engine is the rest of the truck also the "old" design? Is it possible to have a "new" design truck with a 5.7 L engine?

I have noticed that the 99 Tahoes are a good bit cheaper than the 2000 Tahoes. Is the new style Tahoe worth it? I have heard that the old style had a lot of head gasket problems, and transmission problems. Have these issues been resolved with the new style? Does the new style have any known problems?

Although gas mileage isn't a huge concern to me, I do like to know. My Blazer gets 12 city, 19 highway. I'm guessing the Tahoe will get slightly less on the highway, and about the same in the city. Is that a good guess? Is there any difference in fuel economy between the old and new styles?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Bryce

Reply to
Bryce

No, if it has the 5.7 liter engine, it's the "old" design. This was a "transition" year. Personally, I'd go for the "new" design.

Of course it has known problems. Front diff bearing failures, t/case clutch pack failures (usually due to front diff failure), front axle seal leaks, right rear brake inner pad premature wear (though for all intents and purposes, it's normal), premature wear of park brake shoes (there is a new design that has been released).

Old style truck never had "head gasket issues"....but plenty of "intake gasket" issues. New style engine does not have a "wet" manifold, so this issue has been eliminated. The only problem you will face with the new engine is "piston slap" noise when cold, it's fairly normal, and we have yet to actually replace an engine or attempt a fix for this. As far as the transmissions, I don't think the new style trucks really fixed much when it comes to the transmissions. So you would want to follow a strict fluid and filter change interval.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

If a 2000 Tahoe has a 5.7 engine it is old style. The 5.3 is only used in new style trucks in the U. S. There was not many problems with head gaskets on the old style but huge problems with intake leaks and injectors. Those issues have been handled on the new style. Some owners of the new style complain of piston noise and slight oil comsumption. But fuel milage is better. If I was to choose old or new style--- take the new , Far better truck

Reply to
zonie

Everything I've heard states that the newer 5.3 is a much better motor than the older 5.7.

I ran a 5.3, and I'm now running a 6.0 - these new GenIII motors are INCREDIBLE. They respond to mods so well, and are quite effient, stock.

I think you'll see 13/17 with the 5.3, and probably slightly worse with the 5.7.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

mine is a 1999 tahoe and not a problem yet(89000 miles) I think the newer ones have MORE problems. The intake manifold gasket developes water leaks on some, but i have no problem and i think they solved that in 1998. old John

Reply to
ajeeperman

Bryce:

Any thing with the 5.3 GM motor is a 1999 or up Pickup or 2000 & up Tahoe/Suburban.....

I own a late model (April 2000) 2000 5.3 4x4 EXT Cab Z71 Silverado...

Since a 2000 Tahoe arrived 1 year after, 99 5.3 Silverado... any BIG engine bugs in the 2000 series Tahoe or Silverado should be gone...

BIG difference Between the 2000 5.7 Tahoe and 2000 5.3 Tahoe are thin front brake rotors on 5.7 (older) and thick front brake rotors on the 5.3 (new) version...

Items that broke under warranty on my 2000 5.3 LT 4x4 Silverado $2000 warranty of 6 years or 72,000 miles are:

Both the L & R heated mirrors (no heat), 4x4 push button switch, fancy compass/Temp rear view mirror(electronics), Left hand door (motor or gears?), All 4 Doors, rubber Moldings, Both EXT Rear Suicide doors would not latch in cold weather. had front steering pull to right(alignment would not fix prob, but selecting Michelin LTX-AT tires & dumping Pmetric Firestone Wilderness at 3800 miles did Wonders... Had fan belt squeak (GoodYear Gatorback fixed that at 45000 mi), Had steering shaft lubed twice to to eliminate clunk... Had rear spline joint lubed twice for 'smooth takeoff'.... Spline joint lube frees up the entire rear Suspension!!

I used Mobil 1 oil after 5000 mi & have no leaks at 63,000 mi now..

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

I would have to say, based on my experience...actually working on the stupid things day in and day out...that the newer engines have less problems. GM never solved the intake manifold gasket problem on these engines.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai