2001 2500 carrier bearing replacement

Hello, how does the driveshaft separate to change the carrier bearing on a 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4? I haven't looked under the boot yet near the center yokes - not sure if it is a slip joint or I will have to dis-assemble the u-joints?

thx, D.

(top post)

It slides apart...with a little effort.

well..... maybe sometimes a lot of effort.

Fact, not Fiction ~:~ MarshMonster ~wonders if he wants to know how to put it back togeather~ ==============2001 2500 carrier bearing replacement snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (darse) asks us........

Hello, how does the driveshaft separate to change the carrier bearing on a 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4?

<snip>

thx, D. ==================

darse wrote:

Well, I'm having a hard time deciphering your technical jargon. Why don't we just start with, "which driveshaft are you talking about"? Front, rear...etc. I suspect that you are talking about the front driveshaft. In that case, the driveshaft just slides off the splines of the front output shaft on the transfer case.

Ian

. . ========= =========

========== ========== (shiden_Kai) wrote:

Well, I'm having a hard time deciphering your technical jargon.

Why don't we just start with, "which driveshaft are you talking about"?

Front, rear...etc. I suspect that you are talking about the front driveshaft. In that case, the driveshaft just slides off the splines of the front output shaft on the transfer case.

Ian ============ ============

center support bearing hanger bearing carrier bearing

you can call it a dog if you want....... it's your monkey.

marsh ~:~ ============= =============

Marsh Monster wrote:

Maybe....but I've rarely seen a 4X4 Chevy truck with a two piece rear driveshaft. It would have to be a 4 door cab with the full size box to get a two piece. If it was 2 wheel drive, yes, a lot of them have two piece driveshafts.

Ian

. . ==============Shiden wrote:

Maybe....but I've rarely seen a 4X4 Chevy truck with a two piece rear driveshaft. It would have to be a 4 door cab with the full size box to get a two piece. If it was 2 wheel drive, yes, a lot of them have two piece driveshafts.

Ian ==================== Dealer techs......

frick'n walk'n ,talk'n, vehical specific tech manuals.

i hope a ford pulls in yer bay tomorrow.

~:~ marsh ~buys Ian a drink~ ========================

Marsh Monster wrote:

Sorry, we don't do "fords".....

Ian