2001 2500 carrier bearing replacement

Hello, how does the driveshaft separate to change the carrier bearing on a

2001 Chevy 2500 4x4? I haven't looked under the boot yet near the center yokes - not sure if it is a slip joint or I will have to dis-assemble the u-joints?

thx, D.

Reply to
darse

(top post)

It slides apart...with a little effort.

well..... maybe sometimes a lot of effort.

Fact, not Fiction ~:~ MarshMonster ~wonders if he wants to know how to put it back togeather~ ======== ========

2001 2500 carrier bearing replacement snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (darse) asks us........

Hello, how does the driveshaft separate to change the carrier bearing on a 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4?

thx, D. ========== ==========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Well, I'm having a hard time deciphering your technical jargon. Why don't we just start with, "which driveshaft are you talking about"? Front, rear...etc. I suspect that you are talking about the front driveshaft. In that case, the driveshaft just slides off the splines of the front output shaft on the transfer case.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Hello, how does the driveshaft separate to change the CARRIER BEARING on a 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4?

=A0=A0I haven't looked under the boot yet near the center yokes - not sure if it is a slip jo Well, I'm having a hard time deciphering your technical jargon.

Why don't we just start with, "which driveshaft are you talking about"?

Front, rear...etc. I suspect that you are talking about the front driveshaft. In that case, the driveshaft just slides off the splines of the front output shaft on the transfer case.

Ian =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

center support bearing hanger bearing carrier bearing

you can call it a dog if you want....... it's your monkey.

marsh ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Maybe....but I've rarely seen a 4X4 Chevy truck with a two piece rear driveshaft. It would have to be a 4 door cab with the full size box to get a two piece. If it was 2 wheel drive, yes, a lot of them have two piece driveshafts.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Maybe....but I've rarely seen a 4X4 Chevy truck with a two piece rear driveshaft. It would have to be a 4 door cab with the full size box to get a two piece. If it was 2 wheel drive, yes, a lot of them have two piece driveshafts.

Ian =========== ===========

Dealer techs......

frick'n walk'n ,talk'n, vehical specific tech manuals.

i hope a ford pulls in yer bay tomorrow.

~:~ marsh ~buys Ian a drink~ ============= =============

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Sorry, we don't do "fords".....