2001 Blazer LT Problem...

Hey guys I have a problem maybe you all can help out with...

My 2001 Blazer LT is making a strange growling noise. Dealership says it's the muffler (hence my last post) but I'm not so sure...

The noise is most apparent in the following situation. Engine is warmed up and I take it for a spin down the highway. Pull off the highway and come to a stop. Then start accelerating and a sort of a deep, whining growling noise seems to come from the rear of the truck. Sounds sort of like it's coming from the exhaust system, but I can't be certain. It will make this growling for a short while, then progressively get better and stop making the noise. Then it'll start again later on (if I continue driving around). Almost always happens when accelerating from a stop.

I've had the rear end serviced and inspected and everythings ok. Took it to the dealer today, and they told me the "rattle" is comming from my muffler. I think they have not diagnosed the problem because it's not a rattle and it's been making this noise since shortly after I bought the truck (1.5 years and 40,000 KM's). I know there is a small metallic rattle sound that I've also heard on occasion, and maybe that's the rattle they have found, but my growling whine does not sound anything like a rattle. I did take it for a drive with a mechanic and he heard the growl but was unsure about the source.

Any ideas guys? They want me to spend $590 on a new GM muffler since no aftermarket mufflers are available, and I have the GM Total Plus extended warranty (I'm now past the factory warranty) but it doesn't cover mufflers.

Thanks for any info you all can provide!

Reply to
Mike Marchand

Like I said in answer to your last post...

Mufflers is mufflers. THey come in all shapes and sizes, pressures and sounds for all different applications. If you want an aftermarket muffler, go to a competent exhaust place and they'll bend you up some shit or find some way of tucking a muffler under your truck.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd

Check this part # with the Dealer, 15156883. $234.05 from GMPartsdirect.

Have a great one!

Bush

Reply to
Bush

Ok, but my question is... does this sound like a muffler problem or something else? It seems way to specific and erratic to be a muffler. I have a feeling that the noise is coming from the engine and is traveling through the exhaust system.

Reply to
Mike Marchand

Not there, hard to say.

When in doubt take it to the mechanic. The mechanics say it's fine and that your muff is jacked up.

When in doubt, get a second opinion.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd

I'm going for the second opinion today. The dealer I take it to has a nasty habit of guessing rather than diagnosing & costing me more money than necessary.

Reply to
Mike Marchand

2001 Blazer LT Problem... Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Jun 25, 2003, 11:30pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike=A0Marchand) Hey guys I have a problem maybe you all can help out with... My 2001 Blazer LT is making a strange growling noise. Dealership says it's the muffler (hence my last post) but I'm not so sure... The noise is most apparent in the following situation. Engine is warmed up and I take it for a spin down the highway. Pull off the highway and come to a stop. Then start accelerating and a sort of a deep, whining growling noise seems to come from the rear of the truck. Sounds sort of like it's coming from the exhaust system, but I can't be certain. It will make this growling for a short while, then progressively get better and stop making the noise. Then it'll start again later on (if I continue driving around). Almost always happens when accelerating from a stop. I've had the rear end serviced and inspected and everythings ok. Took it to the dealer today, and they told me the "rattle" is comming from my muffler. I think they have not diagnosed the problem because it's not a rattle and it's been making this noise since shortly after I bought the truck (1.5 years and 40,000 KM's). =A0 I know there is a small metallic rattle sound that I've also heard on occasion, and maybe that's the rattle they have found, but my growling whine does not sound anything like a rattle. =A0 I did take it for a drive with a mechanic and he heard the growl but was unsure about the source. Any ideas guys? They want me to spend $590 on a new GM muffler since no aftermarket mufflers are available, and I have the GM Total Plus extended warranty (I'm now past the factory warranty) but it doesn't cover mufflers. Thanks for any info you all can provide! ..................

Mike, Do you have ANY documentation that you've had this thing ongoing since before the warranty ran out? Any paper work with the noise and symptoms listed? If so... you have recourse for a free replacement.

as to the noise.....

It could be the baffles in the muffler, or even the converter substrate, that have come loose. Especially if it's doing it on acceleration. No gaurantees... but if you think the noise is comeing out the exhaust, those two items would be right in line with the symptoms. Another bit of info. If you can determine if the convertor substrate has come loose, pieces may have entered the muffler. This too should warrant you a free muffler replacement . Converters are a mandated emission warranty item.

any whoo....

sorry if that's no help.. but it's all I can think of relating to the sound right this minute.

Well sorta... I HAVE heard trannies make a similar noise.. squawking. But that sound isn't going to come from the tailpipe.

keep us informed

.gibson6string.. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Guitar Boogie

Thanks for the info... I've taken it to a trusted mechanic for a second opinion. I may have some documentation regarding the noise, and I did mention that to the dealer, but they just said there was nothing they could do about it & gave me a song and dance about how mufflers are only covered to 20,000KM's.

"Guitar Boogie" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2351.public.lawson.webtv.net... .................

2001 Blazer LT Problem...

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Jun 25, 2003, 11:30pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike Marchand) Hey guys I have a problem maybe you all can help out with... My 2001 Blazer LT is making a strange growling noise. Dealership says it's the muffler (hence my last post) but I'm not so sure... The noise is most apparent in the following situation. Engine is warmed up and I take it for a spin down the highway. Pull off the highway and come to a stop. Then start accelerating and a sort of a deep, whining growling noise seems to come from the rear of the truck. Sounds sort of like it's coming from the exhaust system, but I can't be certain. It will make this growling for a short while, then progressively get better and stop making the noise. Then it'll start again later on (if I continue driving around). Almost always happens when accelerating from a stop. I've had the rear end serviced and inspected and everythings ok. Took it to the dealer today, and they told me the "rattle" is comming from my muffler. I think they have not diagnosed the problem because it's not a rattle and it's been making this noise since shortly after I bought the truck (1.5 years and 40,000 KM's). I know there is a small metallic rattle sound that I've also heard on occasion, and maybe that's the rattle they have found, but my growling whine does not sound anything like a rattle. I did take it for a drive with a mechanic and he heard the growl but was unsure about the source. Any ideas guys? They want me to spend $590 on a new GM muffler since no aftermarket mufflers are available, and I have the GM Total Plus extended warranty (I'm now past the factory warranty) but it doesn't cover mufflers. Thanks for any info you all can provide! ..................

[...]

you might want to check the tires. what you are probably hearing is road noise and nothing is wrong with the vehicle. if the tires are new the sound is much worst. as the tires wear the sound will be quieter but won't go away. hope this helps.

Reply to
Rodney B Pettigrew