2001 chevy s10 (engine light on

Hi The engine light just came on my chevy s10 v6 six 2001 trucktwo wheel drive. I checked all fluids all gauges semm to be operating ok. Is it safe to
drive till I get it checked..
thank you captish
Anything I can check in meantime
Thread archive:
AutoZone and Advanced Auto will scan codes for free. Regards, JR

Is it the Service Engine Soon light? This might sound strange, but unscrew your gas cap and put it on and make sure it is tight. Works for me when that light comes on. Not sure what the two have in common, but a Chevy dealer told me to do that, and it works.

Must be some kind of slight defect. I have to do the same with my gas cap. I also replaced it once. Also, when it rains, sometimes it will come on. Some sensors may be to sensitive. Moisture has some impact. Mine is also a 2,001 S-10.
I also have a Security light that goes on occasionally, goes off on its own after a few hours or a day. Book says it has to do with the security features in doors with remote control locks, however my 2000 Blazer doesn't have remote control locks. Bizarre.
Check underneath . Mine came on because my dachshund chewed all the wires off........ABS wiring and O2 sensor. I'm proud of that dog !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(it's lucky to be alive) Pete/MS