2001 side mirror

Hello, I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado truck and the side mirror's are Chrome and I want to change to the factory color Carmine Red. My Question: do the chrome covers just pop off How do you replace them. I was thinking I could use the ones that go on a Tahoe same year and color were can I locate them? maybe do the same thing with the front bumper top cover and the door handles. If any one knows were to find these parts please let my know.

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael
2001 side mirror Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Oct 5, 2003, 2:43pm (CDT-2) From: michaels1963@@@hotmail.com (Michael) Hello, I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado truck and the side mirror's are Chrome and I want to change to the factory color Carmine Red. My Question: do the chrome covers just pop off How do you replace them. I was thinking I could use the ones that go on a Tahoe same year and color were can I locate them? maybe do the same thing with the front bumper top cover and the door handles. If any one knows were to find these parts please let my know. Thanks, Michael

Best thing to do is call the Dealer.Some of the backs do come off but if your not careful youll break the tabs also most of them are paint to order if its not a common color (chrome or black)..As far as removing them its pretty simple.The plastic panel inside behind the mirror just snaps in and then there is just the electrical connection,and three 10mm nuts that hold it into place.

Reply to
Steve Cook

Michael, The mirror assembly is one complete unit and cannot be modified (I've replaced two so far). Replacement chrome mirrors are about $125 from

as I recall. If you ordered Tahoe mirrors I'm almost 100% certain they are shipped unpainted. If this is the case have a body shop paint over the "chrome" portion of your existing mirrors.

Joshua

Reply to
Joshua Phillips

Re: 2001 side mirror Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 6, 2003, 5:19pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.cinci.rr.com (Joshua=A0Phillips) Michael wrote: Hello, I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado truck and the side mirror's are Chrome and I want to change to the factory color Carmine Red. My Question: do the chrome covers just pop off How do you replace them. I was thinking I could use the ones that go on a Tahoe same year and color were can I locate them? maybe do the same thing with the front bumper top cover and the door handles. If any one knows were to find these parts please let my know. Michael, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0The mirror assembly is one complete unit and cannot be modified (I've replaced two so far). Replacement chrome mirrors are about $125 from

as I recall. If you ordered Tahoe mirrors I'm almost 100% certain they are shipped unpainted. If this is the case have a body shop paint over the "chrome" portion of your existing mirrors. Joshua

hmmmmmm.true they come as a complete unit....true you can get them unpainted.also true you can get a bodyshop to paint over them...BUT NOT TRUE the caps in the back of the mirror in this case chrome.Do come off thats how most body shops paint them anyways they dont paint the whole unit unless you want them too POP off no it does take some skill to do this.I think this guy works for GM.and wants you to buy things you dont need by telling you they dont do things they infact do.Where did the he say he wanted to modify the mirrors ?He just wants the color changed Heres some advice Michael just take off the mirrors and take them to the body shop and tell them what color you want them I dont see where buying new ones would make a difference unless the ones you have dont work or are broke.Mirrors are around $100.00 per unit and you can get both of them painted for half that.......Just my opinion but you do the math...........

Reply to
Steve Cook

[...]

But then again he told the guy he could get them painted maybe he just works for GM part time...And he has replaced Two of them.Maybe hes is an expert......Hmmmmmmmm maybe I just had a BAD day and vented on the poor guy.Look have a BEER on me no hard feelings. If you have any questions comments or concerns please notify the complaint compartment ATT SCRIBB ABELL he will be more than happy to assist you with any complaint you may have................... Hes got my vote for the employee of the month

Reply to
Steve Cook

I don't work for GM.

Smashed them on trees, these mirrors are indeed "break away".

I'm no expert just someone who offers free advice in subjects I feel I have relavent information.

Yeah it looks like you had a bad day.

I don't drink but thanks anyway.

I reread my OP to be certain I didn't give this guy bad info. For the record I always proof my posts before I send them out. I never told this guy to buy new mirrors, I suggested he take his existing mirrors to a body shop and get the "chrome" portion painted the color he desired. I also suggested that if he were to order Tahoe mirrors they would

*likely* be shipped unpainted landing him back at square one.

I still assert that these mirrors are sold as a complete unit. On one of the mirrors I broke, the glass and the gear for the motor were the only parts damaged. I tried unsuccessfully to get just those components and was told repeatedly by parts guys that the mirror is sold as one complete assembly. If you can prove otherwise please do so I'll send you half the money I save the next time I tear one of these off.

Joshua

Reply to
Joshua Phillips

Re: 2001 side mirror Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Oct 8, 2003, 2:05pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.cinci.rr.com (Joshua=A0Phillips) Steve Cook wrote: But then again he told the guy he could get them painted maybe he just works for GM part time... I don't work for GM. And he has replaced Two of them. Smashed them on trees, these mirrors are indeed "break away". Maybe hes is an expert......Hmmmmmmmm I'm no expert just someone who offers free advice in subjects I feel I have relavent information. maybe I just had a BAD day and vented on the poor guy. Yeah it looks like you had a bad day. Look have a BEER on me no hard feelings. I don't drink but thanks anyway. I reread my OP to be certain I didn't give this guy bad info. For the record I always proof my posts before I send them out. I never told this guy to buy new mirrors, I suggested he take his existing mirrors to a body shop and get the "chrome" portion painted the color he desired. I also suggested that if he were to order Tahoe mirrors they would

*likely* be shipped unpainted landing him back at square one. I still assert that these mirrors are sold as a complete unit. On one of the mirrors I broke, the glass and the gear for the motor were the only parts damaged. I tried unsuccessfully to get just those components and was told repeatedly by parts guys that the mirror is sold as one complete assembly. If you can prove otherwise please do so I'll send you half the money I save the next time I tear one of these off. Joshua

never said they wasnt sold as one unit he asked if the caps come off you stated the caps dont come off he cant modify he wasnt trying to modify another thing shhhhhhh now keep this quiet now its a secret I have rebuilt mirrors out of ones that were broke didnt get them from GM i got them from ones at the junk yard.But your right they are sold as a whole and if you read the whole thred I stated in error how you told him too get the chrome painted....

Reply to
Steve Cook