2001 silverado manual transmission locking up

Hi folks:

I've got an interesting symptom with my '01 Silverado;

every now and again after 2 days of sitting still, I have a tremendously difficult time shifting the vehicle through the gears.

I leave the truck in gear while parked. When it comes time to back the truck down the driveway the shifter is completely seized up, and I must REALLY FORCE it to shift. after a minute of driving and hammering the stick shift into gear it becomes driveable and operates normally.

If if shift the manual transfer case to Neutral, the shifter will operate.

When I attempt to shift the Transfer Case back to 2HI there is a grinding of gears.

truck specs:

2001 reg. cab 8' bed V-6 5 spd.

hyd. clutch fluid level is normal.

My two chevy dealers in town have heard nothing of this type of symptom. The dealer where I purchased the truck from has only sold 4 manuals since

2001 - me being one of the four.

any ideas?

Reply to
Craig T. Bailey

Can you get the shifter into neutral BEFORE starting the truck? Or does the truck move when you first try to start it? I'm not that familiar with hydraulic clutches, but it almost seems like the clutch isn't disengaging properly at first.

Regards, Sam

Reply to
"Sparky"