2001 Suburban SERVICE 4WD light...

Hello All,

I just bought a used 2001 Suburban with 40K miles on it. After owning it a day or two the SERVICE 4WD light comes on the message center. It goes away after I turn the ignition off, but will come back after a while. It has come back two times now and I've only owned it a few days.

I read on another board that it could be a bad transfer case switch. Any other ideas?

Also, does anyone know if something like this would be covered under an extended warranty?

Thanks, BW

Reply to
BW

"BW" wrote

Yes, what history code is stored in the ATC section? If it's 2725, then the problem is in t/case dash switch.

That will be hard to know unless you diagnose the problem properly and know what component needs to be replaced. Then you can call your warranty company and find out if "that" component is covered. A lot will depend on what kind of coverage you have.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

depending on the warrenty, but not really sure. also is there a used car warrenty where you live? here in N.C there is a minium one of 30 days or 1,000 miles. you may want to check into that.

Reply to
Charles H.

Thanks for the reply Ian. I don't know what the history code is, but I will find out.

BW

Reply to
BW

Thanks Charles,

The dealership has a 30-day warranty that will cover 15% parts and labor. I also bought a 1-year extended warranty although I don't really know what this covers. I'll probably find out in the next couple days. I won't be afraid to cancel the warranty if it doesn't work out in this case.

BW

Reply to
BW

Reply to
Tech 117

"Tech 117" wrote

I don't believe that bulletin applies to the Suburbans. I think it's specifically for the crow hopping that the AWD Bravada/Trailblazers experience.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Tech 117

Reply to
Tech 117

"Tech 117" wrote

Yes, the specific transfer cases that happen to be in the Bravada, Trailblazer, Envoy vehicles. Have a look thru your SI2000 and see if you can find that bulletin for the

2001 Suburban that the OP was talking about. You won't find it, because the sensor replacement you are talking about doesn't apply to a 2001 Suburban. In addition to that, he was complaining about the "service 4X4" light coming on. The condition you refer to will not set a service light.

The GMT 360/370 models use either a 126 or 226 model t/case. The C/K 800 trucks (suburban) use either the 263 or 236/246 t-cases.....different beasts all together.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I had this happen to me about 3 weeks ago and it turned out to be the 4WD Selector Switch which was covered under my extended warranty. However, I have a $100 deductible and the bill came to $117 so....it cost me the $100.

Art

Reply to
art
Reply to
Brown Weed

Reply to
GM Tech

Reply to
GM Tech

"GM Tech" wrote

Thanks, that's a good one. Still doesn't apply to the 2001 Suburban. That's the problem with TSB's. They are very model and year specific in most cases.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Pull the dash switch and go over it very closely, I bet it will be the problem, I have seen too many with this problem. There is no need to replace the switch if you have any solder skills, I have done a few now and they take the greater part of fifteen minutes to remove and fix and reinstall.

Reply to
PAUL

Reply to
GM Tech

Thanks Cam. I just may do that.

BW

Reply to
BW

Thanks to all who chimed in on this thread. I took the truck back to the dealership and it indeed turned out to be the transfer case switch (code

2725). Since I bought it used from the dealership a week ago they replaced it for free. Imagine my surprise!

BW

Reply to
Brown Weed