2001 Surburban Seat Belt Snafu

The tensioner(?) on my passenger side seat belt seems to be permanently locked when I buckle up. It won't loosen up when I try to lean forward, etc., HOWEVER.......
the dealer said this is normal for the passenger side belt. There is no "give, etc., Has anyone heard of this? I think they just don't want to fix it. Thanks.

I would agree, they just don't want to fix it. Contact the regional GM service rep and file a complaint.
Mike D.
Greetings,
Many seatbelt tensioners have a lock mechanism that prevents slack when using the belt to fasten down a child seat. If you pull the belt all the way out, the lock will engage so when it is holding in a car seat it won't move. The only way to disengage the lock is to retract the seatbelt all the way back in. If you are extending the seatbelt to its full length then this could be your issue.
The other thing that could be happening is there is a lock that engages when the truck slows sharply, preventing anyone restrained by the seatbelt from slumping forward and hitting the dash. There is a pendulum inside the mechanism that engages the lock and it could be stuck in the forward position engaging the lock all the time. In this case it's just a matter of removing the plastic trim and using a judicious squirt of WD-40 on the mechanism to free it up.
I don't buy the line about your dealer just not wanting to fix it. Why would any dealer want to forego making money on such a simple job that would be almost all profit for them? Whether it's under warranty or if you pay for it they still get paid. Perhaps they don't understand the problem or comprehend the mechanism's functions, which seems more likely than turning down easy money.
Cheers - Jonathan

I've had several dealers turn down easy money
Explorer power lock solenoids (we just greased the linkage) Navigator valve job (they all idle rough) Passat evaporator core (you were just low on Freon....see ya next week)
You might remind them that seatbelt failure during MVA in this case might expose GM and the dealership to considerable liability. That ought to get them going. I've found dealers agreeable when their wallets are at risk.
Bubba
If the seat has some rings in the back of the seat it wont go out after fastened. This is to protect the child seat in the front seat . I would like to find another replacement year to remove this feature as I aint having no babies