2002 Blazer Charcol Canister maintenance & repair

My Haynes manual is about to become a fire log. Other than telling me where the canister is located the manual says nothing about pulling the canister which is inconveniently located behind the left rear tire in the quarter panel. I need to get this out in order to replace the purge valve. Hopefully replacing this will keep the "service engine soon" light off (code P0440). It looks like I need a special tool to disconnect the three lines going to the canister. NAPA could not provide the line removal tool. I am concerned about breaking one of the lines. What I need are detailed instructions on how to do this job and where to buy the tools necessary. I would buy a book if I thought one existed about the EVAP system on an 02 Blazer. I am a stubborn do it yourselfer. Any help appreciated!

Reply to
music.flac

if we're talking the same language-why do you need to pull the canister, DON'T!!I If you've already bought the celonoid, open it, look at it and you'll find it above the rear end-nearly dead center. This job is made easier by dropping the spare tire. If you've got a celonoid behind/above the canister it's news to me. There also is a popular celonoid(EVAP Purge celonoid)but that is located on the engine intake- sounds like geographically you may have the one in the rear. good luck-maybe let us know how you make out. jp ps without a smoke machine or the like this process is guesswork but in my opinion you've made a good guess-hopefully it'll work out!

Reply to
blazerman

No line removal tool needed. You just need a bar to push the locking tab on the mount in so the valve will slide off. The connection to the valve you just squeeze and pull. The wiring is a lock tab and pull. Then reverse the process to install the new one. While you have the spare out is a good time to check it for wear and clean and lube the winch cable for it.

Reply to
Steve W.