2002 Chevy Siverado 2500 diesel throwing white smoke out the exhaust

A friend has this truck and its blowing out white smoke from the exhaust as it says above and he was wondering what that could be? It sounds like water
to me but he says it should be black. So I thought I would ask to see what you guys think. I don't know if he is having any other problems with it like loss of power but I am texting him now to get an answer.
DL Man wrote:

General rule:
black = excess fuel blue = oil white = coolant

White smoke from a diesel can also indicate low engine temperature.....the smell is indicator. If it smells like unburned diesel it's likely due to this. White smoke due to steam from coolant in combustion chamber has a distinctive glycol/exhaust aroma.
no snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

Fair enough, but coolant would not cause balck as suggested.