2002 GMC SONOMA 4x4 REAR DIFF.

Page 2 of 3

One perfectly placed Fonzie-esque tap on the offending light housing.

Fill the weephole with black RTV, just like the Snomang would.

Well, I've never heard of this issue so it must not be infamous, but it sounds like tighter manifold bolts would cure that in a jiffy.

JB Weld.
I'd swear that Sno and nonsense were the same except that nonsense has proven the ability to spell and punctuate. They both redirect to the left and reverse whenever bouncing off of facts and/or logic, much like a $9.99 battery powered toy car from the 80's. (Batteries not included)
I don't know about you Neil, but I like to cure my sealer before final torque so that all the bolt holes distort in the stamped metal pan/ plate. Hey, ever seen a pan come in like that before? Must'a been a pro that did that work. This hasn't been mentioned here, but I also recommend squirting on the sealer without the nozzle in place. A good 3/8" bead will beat the so-called proper amount any old day.
Toyota MDT in MO
Comboverfish wrote:

Seems you fellows have a reading and comprehension problem.
Look at my sentence cited the the first line of text. Now take notice of the word "only" which is the operative limiting concept.
You whiners are ONLY parts changers because, among other things, your reading and (especially) comprehension skills fall short of what's demanded in order to be something more.

Nope, don't think so.

Any use of the term "parts changer" carries derogatory connotation no matter how you surround it.

Gee, looks like I got it right after all.

Be something "more" like?

This observation could simply be skewed by your inability to properly judge a real mechanic from a parts changer, it could be skewed from a low data sample i.e. one out of one total mechanic you've met was ONLY a parts changer (poor wording structure intentionally left intact), or you could have been dealt a bad hand in the world of chance encounters with mechanics. Whoopty. On a similar note, all GMs suck 'cause I said so.

I'm proud to be a real diagnostician whose heavily invested in my trade and I'm proud to be 100% honest and forthright in all manners of my profession. That said, I would classify aarcuda as soundly better than me as a diagnostician and equally as honest. This observation requires that I know what I'm talking about; YMMV.
Toyota MDT in MO
Comboverfish wrote:

Nope. Please add impaired logic to your resume. I made no observation in the cited sentence above, merely asking you to take notice that "only" is the operative limiting concept.
> it could be skewed from a

You're wrong again. There's "only" one small piece of data involved, the inclusion and usage of the word "only" which has nothing at all to do with the qualifications of any mechanic I've met.

I'm already tired of repeating what I wrote above, so it is included here by reference (if you know what that means, and even if you don't).
> On a similar note, all GMs suck 'cause I said so.
I agree that all general managers suck. They can only be better or worse than another general manager. They got their job by "climbing over dead bodies" in the first place.

You've clearly demonstrated your inability to diagnose something as simple as the written language. That means you have similar difficulties comprehending manuals designed to assist you.

It is abundantly clear that you don't know what you're talking about. But please don't let that stop you from blathering. Your honesty, as is your self image, is grossly inflated. Your stating that aarcuda is a better diagnostician ends up being meaningless. Better than almost zero by how much?

Now -that- is impaired logic.

I'll needlessly refresh your memory since you are being intentionally thick. Your original statement of interest here was "I've never come into contact with one that wasn't only a parts changer", which was a back-patting reply to your grammar-deficient alter ego Snoman in specific reference to GM mechanics and their tendency to not fix vehicles correctly. Everything I wrote stands, thickster.
Many of your past posts have shown that you like to argue as well as give out generic and misleading info. Grand! Do what you want, but you would get through life and usenet much less abrasively if you dropped the "I'm rubber, you're glue" first grade word twister psychology in reaction to valid technical corrections to your "helpful info". You pop up in defense of Snowy the 'tard as often as you reply viley to valid corrections.

I've clearly shown a lack of comprehension on all levels. You know that! It can't be denied. This is the strongest straw... nay, hairman in your arsenal. Avoid scrutiny and calls to your BS statement(s) by saying that your debate partner can't "diagnose" the English language.

Many I've encountered leave much to be desired as it relates to the customer, but they were by and large succesful at the things the owner hired them for. Sounds like you are just full of generalizations, but I see your angle and will ignore the true intent of said generalizations. It's really quite likely that I have had much more contact with them (dealership GMs, SMs) than you, fought with them a hell of a lot more than you, and worked gratis in lieu of their support to please a customer -hella- more than you have (zero can't be a divisor regarding real quantities now, can it?), yet my generalization of them (not fully displayed here) has both positive and negative elements. That's a sign of a considered opinion, my feisty friend.

As previously stated, *clearly*! Noone would dispute that. The A=B therefore C=D conclusion is priceless! I would go as far as to say "ONLY clearly".

Whoh! Let's stick to clearly, 'kay? Try "It's clearly (clearly doesn't work perfectly here but clearly rocks so much as a word that you gotta use it) that you don't know what you're talking about", then make the following sentence fragment be "Clearly."

Here are the rules: 0<[diagnostic ability]<1, as we are referring to one theoretical unit. I estimate Aaracuda to be about 0.20 better than me, and would rate him at about 0.95. This attainment curve is highly exponential, so the last 0.25 don't come easy.
As I've been (clearly?) served in the street dancing sense by your last post, I'll discontinue direct replies so you can concentrate on becoming either less of a tool or more of yourself.
Toyota MDT in MO
Comboverfish wrote:

My statement said what it said, not what you prefer to read into it.
> Everything I wrote stands, thickster.
Please add impaired logic to your resume as well then.

Projection at work now. Good going.

I've not supported snoman, I've put down others. It seems you are unable to understand that distinction.
As far as usenet goes, I've been around these parts since before the great renaming in 1987, so I don't think as supplicant you're able to teach your master in this instance.

Obviously you're unable to parse sentences written for readers with better than a 3rd grade comprehension skills.

That doesn't mean they don't suck, fella.

I'm not so certain you actually understand anything I write.
> It's really quite likely that I have had much more

Zero was your starting level. You haven't advanced very far.
> yet my

Regardless of elements, in the final analysis they still suck

Are you able to state the reason for your amusement in terms of formal logic, or even using the formal names provided for logical fallacies? If you can, you should. If you cannot, this is another dead end in your attempts to discuss.

Well perhaps you think you've one upped me and you've broken your arm patting yourself on the back without substance to support your contention(s).

Sentence fragments, when used judiciously and creatively, are an acceptable format for transmitting information.

An exponential curve with a limit of 1 might as well be linear. Scale is, after all, important.

I never needed your permission for anything before this, nor is it of any consequence now.
You're improving the caliber of discussion with this dialog, and I hope you continue to improve with age and time because there's always room for improvement.
<snip self aggrandizing clap-trap>

As you've demonstrated repeatedly.
In article

Duzat work on headlamps also because I (may have) wasted an H-7 on a Mercedes this morning...

I figured him for the self drilling pole barn screw type...

Drill and tap to 12 millimeter?

Damn, all I have is Pig Putty.

Some assembly required.

Is a frogs ass waterproof?

Mores' Law; if more is good, too much is just right. (that guy used to work in the next bay)

I dunno, he really likes the "modern" black RTV. If he did have a DIY pole barn, I would suspect that it was short a few screws though.

I would prefer to change to SAE thread at this point (because I'm Snomang). Make the holes 7/16-14, then red loctite eight studs into place in the engine. Now drill out the manifold holes and drop it into place over the studs.... er, umm... OK, REALLY drill out those manifold holes until it will drop over the studs. Finish torque nuts sans washers with your 3/4" impact, assuming you can find it after using it to run down a pinion gear crush collar on your last diff job.

I'll get back to you after some preliminary testing and research.

That's the law!
Toyota MDT in MO
In article

That isn't all that's short a few screws...

Don't forget the sledge hammer in lieu of a case spreader.

If they weren't, they'd sink!

And Snoman is the Sheriff.

Awww, I just saw a tiny treefrog sticking to my shop's door jamb this morning. Judging from his apparent lack of motivation I assumed he would still be there when I got home tonight. Now the testing is pointless.
Speaking of which, I ran down there this morning to grab that FJC vacuum pump I asked you about earler. It's turned out to be a good performer so far. My dealer's pump in their 134 R/R/R unit is going out and is scheduled for service. I got the 4.0 cfm unit as the 5.0 went off sale a moment before "pulling the trigger". They seem identical in dimention and specs other than the 4.0/5.0. I'm assuming the vane shaft is slightly more offset on the 5.0 model. If it gets any hotter than the one I've got it would probably burst into flame. Maybe the 4.0 wasn't such a bad pick...
Which leads to this question... if I was to price shop for a micron gauge, are there any pitfalls or particular units to stay away from? I sound cheap but I really would like to spend $150ish. Tool $$ is tight after a MT, OEM CAN VIM, OEM cart, new cabling and new Solus this year. BTW, what's the emoticon for bent over? JK, they were sound purchases for the now and the future.

Rosco P. Coltrane or Hildy Granger?
Toyota MDT in MO
In article

All is not lost... there are still a few frogs in the river by me.

Good to hear the the FJC is working well. I still lust after a Inficon Shark but I'll get the FJC when the time comes when the one in my White charging station goes Tango Uniform.

How about $145ish?
http://www.omega.com/pptst/DVG-64.html
This is the one I have. Great battery life, very accurate and comes highly recommended by a certain Ferrell type dude who does nothing but AC. Be sure to remove it before charging.

10-4 that! I'm going to go ape shit in the last quarter buying equipment due to the IRS rules on capital depreciation being changed to [us as ESOs] being able to take the write off in one year instead of spread over 5 years. Plus, it's been a good year and funds are there. PDS or IDS... decisions-decisions.

Roscoe Pee Coltrane of course!
Sorry to reply late, yesterday was a clusterboink.

Whoops, meant to type dimension. I don't know if the FJC suffers from dementia... maybe the excessive heat is from night sweating.

Thanks. I'm sure you mentioned that model before once but I couldn't find reference to it in the new, crappier Google archives.

I'm sure you'll go with the IDS (maybe get the PDS option for the VIM later) since you are satisfied with using a laptop based scanner already. Why lose some of the reflash capability if you don't have to?
Toyota MDT in MO

Clueless would be someone who can't break a RTV sealed differential cover without a hammer, screwdriver, pry bar.
For gods sake, whatever you do, don't attempt a transmission service on any FWD Chrysler product built in the last 28 years, you're liable to hurt yourself.

Funny that!

You've actually interviewed all the GM techs to be able to make that claim?

Correctly according to the OEM is exactly as he described it. Your method is nothing but a back yard Bubba hack repair.

None of which is necessary, except for someone who doesn't know the correct way to break the RTV loose.

Glad I never met you IRL. First off, it has always been my desire to do a repair right the first time. If I don't, the second time it's on me, and *that* is unexceptable(not only to the customer, but to my wife who spends my paycheck). I spent a lot of time at colleges and training centers learning the stuff I needed to do the job that way. Know-it-all people like you are the reason I got out of the dealerships, I got tired of using the skills and knowledge I've built over the last 30+ years in this field to chase down squeeks and rattles for yuppie socker moms and repairing shit that some back yard hack had buggered up for some unsuspecting owner. At least now I work for people that understand what I've gone through to aqquire my experience and appreciate the job I do on their vehicles.
Go ahead and do it your way, I know you will, it's your stuff and I could give a shit if it leaks.
I'm done with you. If I reply to anymore of your shit, I may go 24bit on you, and this group doesn't need that anymore than the Jeep group. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Old Crow wrote:
snip

snip
snip
While the repairs you're talking about are just as important to the owners as any other, it sounds like you outgrew the dealership environment and the idiots that usually staff the service department.
Yuppie soccer dads paid good money for those vehicles and their lifestyle is none of your business. I don't fault anyone for trying to save money on repairs, why do you think they're coming to you in the first place, your good looks? rotflmao
With your attitude I'm surprised you are able to earn any money to give to your better half.

No, not at all. I got tired of a 150 mile a day commute. I got tired of getting up at 4 am to leave the house at 5:30 and getting home at 7pm. I got to the point where it was costing over $20 a day just to go to work, and that didn't count eating breakfast or lunch. I found a job 11 miles from the house working on classic cars and street rods. I now spend my days bringing rusted out old hulks back to life. In short, for a gearhead, I've died and gone to heaven. I took a $7/hr pay cut to do this, but my stress level is way down, I've lost 20 lbs from not eating fast food on the way to work and back, and I get to see my house in daylight, even in the winter.
Check it out:(and yes, the cursor sucks, but it's the boss's site, and he likes it).
http://www.vincesvintage.net /
I'm the guy with my arms crossed in the group shot.

Sorry, I have trouble taking seriously a guy who's only complaint is that two pieces of plastic trim that are rubbing together make a noise that you can't even here with the a/c blower on high. I much prefer working on a vehicle that's leaving a puddle of oil in the driveway, or cutting out going down the road, or even leaking water through the cowling. I *like* getting my hands dirty.

Well, who says I expressed this attitude to the customers? I went to college, darn it, I know better than that<seg>. Besides, my ol' man taught me 50-some years ago that being polite doesn't cost anything, and pays a lot of dividends.
I've made a damn good living, actually, and my wife doesn't spend nearly as much as I let on :-)
-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Old Crow wrote:

snip
Funny how that part of the story changed, eh?

Good intro to the group, and a lot more reasonable reply than the one before. Don't let your personal arguments with snoman spill over.
I've never been a dealer mechanic. My backgrounds are in aerospace engineering and where it comes to mechanical work, I earned my A&P (airframe and powerplant) certification early in my career. Aviation mechanics today is different from what it was then, in the early 1960's.
I'm here in the Chevy groups because I own a 2003 Silverado 2500hd.