2002 Silverado Z71 Slip Yolk

Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem. The dealership is trying to tell me that my slip yolk is causing a clunking sound and it is going to cost me in the neighborhood of $500 (CAD) to get it fixed. They tell me this is a very common problem on a lot of vehicles, and there is no recall out for this. The new part is nickel plated.

Is this something that I should have done, or is the dealer just trying to help me part with my hard earned bank?

Opinions are appreciated!

Reply to
Nick Hoffmeier

just take it apart and grease it with a good quality grease the splines well and usually the sticking(which causes the clunking) will go away. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Read GM Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) 01-04-17-004B Jan 5, 2005.. (old

1 is 004A)

The Drive line spline is not sliding 'efficiently' under braking nor normal acceleration.... The rear suspension becomes bound too..

Either have the Yoke spline greased by GM (special grease) every spring or buy the Nickel plated Yoke... 12479383 w/o U joint....

The TSB has a large combination of Yokes & Kits (Part Nos) for for different models & years....!!

When the trucks Drive line spline slides effortlessly, Ride is nicely improved in town....

As for now my dealer greases my 2000 4x4 Ext Cab Spline...

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

This is not an opinion....it is fact that the nickel plated yokes will fix your problem, but because it's so pricey....I'd suggest that you simply have the yoke lubed. You will get the same result as the new yoke, but you will have to repeat the lubing procedure every now and then. Probably best to figure out how to remove the driveshaft yourself, (very easy) and do the work yourself.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian,

What kind of monkey snot is GM using to lube it with? Do I really need the GM version, or can I get something with Moly in it down at AutoZone/Pep Boyz/NAPA?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I don't think you have to use the GM stuff. Others on the list have recommended other types of grease....Mobil one comes to mind....

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai