2002 Trailblazer fuel problem

2002 Trailblazer purchased new, 73,000 trouble free miles. Suddenly unable to put fuel into tank. It spits fuel back like it was over-full. Now has
little over half full tank.
My dealer says the check valve basket at the base of the filler tube has collapsed, forcing the valve ball into the closed position. $190.00 for parts, labor.
I know the valve but didn't know this vehicle had it. Does anyone know what could cause this basket to collapse? Possibly my use of 10% ethanol? My owners manual advises against its use and I only use it on rare times when 87 octane regular is not available (probably 500 total miles in three years).
Thank you, Old Uncle Steve
There is a TSB for this problem pertaining the tank vent system for the filler tube., it becomes collapsed or closed where it makes a bend in it's routing. the dealers are all aware of this condition, it's been ongoing. There expalnation of the problem is possible but unusual at best, Make sure you tell them if this doesn't work either you get a refund or they fix the actual problem free.

-
I know mines doe it ever so often but it never went out on me I got 67K now what I usually do is drive around the block to shake up the gas tank and it opens up again then I can fill my tank all the way up. but I don't think gas can effect it though.