2003 04 Piston Slap

I am interested in buying a new Chevy Suburban and have heard about piston slap problems in past models. Has GM done anything to eliminate this problem in the 2003's or the 2004 models? I understand that you will not know if your vehicle has the problem until you have driven it for several thousand miles. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Randall Smith

"Randall Smith" wrote

I don't think the problem is completely eliminated, but it appears that the 2003-04 trucks are much better then the 99-02's. We still have yet to tear apart and/or repair even an older one for this problem. Yeah, they are noisy, but it doesn't seem to get any worse as time goes on.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The problem is still there. Buy a ford or Dodge, you'll feel better about your investment.

"Caveat emptor"

Reply to
Kiri

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted:

Personally, I wouldn't buy one until I read an article from an authatative publication stating GM had fixed the problem and what they did.

A reputation is easy to lose, damn hard to get back...

If I really needed to buy now, I'd be looking at the new, larger 04 Durango.

Reply to
Spike13

You make a good point about the authoritative source. However, I can't find anything on the net that talks to the subject from a third party perspective.

Reply to
Randall Smith

. Re: 2003 04 Piston Slap

During the recent daily comedy show.... alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randall=A0Smith) showed his knowledge of his computers "go to" button in this scene......

I can't find anything on the net that talks to the subject from a third party perspective.

. try this........

GM PISTON SLAP FIASCO HOME PAGE Address:

or just use your "go-to" feature and type in piston slap

Scibs Abell ~~typed in "Hell" once.....and was trapped for weeks~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Actually a post in rec.autos.tech around a year ago from an authoritative source, the engineer who built the thing: Basically GM new that they had a problem with the piston to bore clearance at

2 mils, reduced to 1 mil for '03. They are much quieter and I have no reports (the 100,000 and 200,000 mile group) that a 5.3 GM has ever come apart for any reason, even with a blower.

As for the other two Detroit vehicles? You'd be strapped trying to survive in a Chevy group with even a mention of a Ford or Dodge. Fittin's you cannot grease? There's an idea for longevity. We could open up our own ball joint factory next door to the Chiropractioner you'll need to iron out the jolts.

Have a great one!

Bush

Reply to
Duane Smith

"We are professional grade"

"Professional My A_ _,"

You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair. The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new, as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled.

I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem. I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is.

In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ).

Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs.

I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes.

Thanks to this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM.

Reply to
unhappy buyer

"unhappy buyer" snipped-for-privacy@seething.net posted:

Assuming your state has a decent 'Lemon Law', get a lawyer. Odds are you'll win it. (So far, both my daughter and myself are 1 for 1.)

Spike

Reply to
Spike13

~ (WARNING.....TOP POST AHEAD) ~~~ Dear Mr Screwed,

I thunked, and thunked, and thunked about it... and made an earnest effort not to reply to your post........

however......after much thunk'n ........

I fart on you.....blowing you out the NG into the Ford forum......

Scrib Abell ~:~ eats another can of " poke'n beans "........ jest'n'case...duh Screwed up dude comes back~:~

~~~~ ~~~~ On Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 2:54am (CDT+5)

snipped-for-privacy@seething.net (unhappy=A0buyer) went off the deep end...and lambbasted Chevys in the wrong NG....with this spewing of mental cleansing......

"Professional My A_ _," =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair. The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new, as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem. I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ). =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes. =A0 =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Thanks to this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM. ~~~ ~~~ (addendum to Marsh's top post)

your problems are welcome.....your arse-hole approach at degregating Chevy's isn't....

what wuz that word Doc used......

BUNGHOLE !!!

Marsh Monster ~~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

snipped-for-privacy@seething.net (unhappy buyer) went off the deep end...and lambbasted Chevys in the wrong NG....with this spewing of mental cleansing......

[...]

Marsh Monster ~~ After spending $37,000 dollars on a truck and then finding out that Chevy doesn't have the honor or integrity to stand behind their product I will complain any damn way I please.

As for you-

your intelligent fact-full comments are welcome, your insults are not

You now have my permission to stick your head back in the sand and keep believing the lies. I really hate to burst your bubble you sound like such a loyal subject of GM, but they really do have a problem with these engines and they really are trying to cover it up. If you say something long enough and often enough pretty soon you start to believe it yourself. You prove my point.

Reply to
Kiri

Jeez I thought that GM had tightened up the 2003's. Went down to Wood's Hole today picked up a 2003 Sub 2500 series 8.1L the engine rattled for a good three minutes at idle. Nice mill warmed up coupled to a 4:10 gearset she had some bottom-end grunt!

Have a great one!

Bush

Reply to
Bush

~ (WARNING.....TOP POST AHEAD) ~~~ =A0=A0Dear Mr Screwed,

I thunked, and thunked, and thunked about it... and made an earnest effort not to reply to your post........

however......after much thunk'n ........

I fart on you.....blowing you out the NG into the

Ford forum...... Scrib Abell

~:~ eats another can of " poke'n beans "........ jest'n'case...duh Screwed up dude comes back~:~ ~~~~ ~~~~ On Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 2:54am (CDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@seething.net (unhappy buyer) went off the deep end...and lambbasted Chevys in the wrong NG....with this spewing of mental cleansing......

"Professional My A_ _,"

You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair. The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new, as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled. I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem. I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is. In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ). Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs. I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes. Thanks to this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM. ~~~ ~~~ (addendum to Marsh's top post)

Marsh Monster ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ snipped-for-privacy@pacific.rim.net (Kiri) (who may or may not be the Screwed Dude that Marsh farted on....) writes in......

"Marsh Monster" ~ After spending $37,000 dollars on a truck and then finding out that Chevy doesn't have the honor or integrity to stand behind their product I will complain any damn way I please.

As for you- your intelligent fact-full comments are welcome, your insults are not

You now have my permission to stick your head back in the sand and keep believing the lies. I really hate to burst your bubble you sound like such a loyal subject of GM, but they really do have a problem with these engines and they really are trying to cover it up.

If you say something long enough and often enough pretty soon you start to believe it yourself.

You prove my point. ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Sir, your complaint has been registered and filed in the appropriate "bin".

Complaints are understandable, hell....I complain more than most...., however your outright condemnation of Chevy's should be addressed in a forum that has been established for that purpose. Perhaps you would be better received in the Dodge or Ford NG's. There, I believe, you would find more sympathetic ears to your campaign.

a few direct responses to your above posted statements....

1) Your $37,000 is a piddly little some of money when it comes to rights for complaining anywhere you want. I laugh at you. lol lol lol

2) If my farting on you insulted you..... I am sorry. For it was merely meant to blow you out the room. Furthermore....you must be lonely in bed if farting drives you away from people....or maybe yer gal-pal eats only roses and petunias for meals....who'm i to know.

3) You did not burst my bubble. So rest assured you should not feel bad about it.

4) If you say something long enough and often enough.....FOOLS WILL REPEAT IT....

5) How did I prove your point. You have'nt heard me say anything about piston slap........now have you??????

Marsh Monster ~:~ eats the other can of "poke'n beans" and looks over at the pissed of dude....think'n maybe he ought to chase them down with a

6 pack of Bud this time~:~

00 L O

.
Reply to
Marsh Monster
1) Your $37,000 is a piddly little some of money when it comes to rights for complaining anywhere you want. I laugh at you. lol lol lol *So my rights are now based on my economic standing in society, or my ability to afford a more expensive vehicle It's pretty obvious that I liked Chevy Trucks otherwise I would not have spent that " piddly little some of money" to purchase mine.

2) If my farting on you insulted you..... I am sorry. For it was merely meant to blow you out the room. Furthermore....you must be lonely in bed if farting drives you away from people....or maybe yer gal-pal eats only roses and petunias for meals....who'm i to know.

*I take your words for what they are and I'm pretty sure you meant them as posted. My knee jerk reaction was to respond in kind, but I respect this NG and will not do that. *Who are you to appoint yourself censurer of this NG *Your right, you don't know me.

3) You did not burst my bubble. So rest assured you should not feel bad about it.

*At least I got your attention and made you think about it.

4) If you say something long enough and often enough.....FOOLS WILL REPEAT IT....

*You apparently refuse to believe in any fault concerning Chevrolet. Why did they double the accepted oil consumption rate.

5) How did I prove your point. You have'nt heard me say anything about piston slap........now have you??????

*No, and I don't think that you could bring yourself to make any critical statement about Chevrolet, you know they also put blinders on horses so that they don't see the whole picture and get scared.

Marsh Monster ~:~ eats the other can of "poke'n beans" and looks over at the pissed of dude....think'n maybe he ought to chase them down with a

6 pack of Bud this time~:~ *Go ahead, pop a cap, have one on me and just think about the possibility that you may be wrong concerning Chevrolet's approach to this situation.

A finale thought:

I have had to work hard all my life for what I have and $37,000 to me is not a "piddly little some of money" as a matter of fact it is the most I have ever spent for a vehicle. Mayby that's why I am so upset about this whole situation, I trusted Chevrolet and expected more from.

Reply to
Kiri

Its unfortunate that you've had this experience with GM. Any time you buy something as expensive as new vehicles are these days you have a right to expect more.

However, don't think that jumping to Dodge or Ford will cure your woes. I have an Expedition and will never own another. Just to give you one example of the many problems with this 2003 engineering marvel. Shortly after purchase we had our first snow fall. A great opportunity to test the 4wheel drive. After disengaging the 4wheel we began hearing a grinding during turns. We took it in to be told it was normal and that it would clear up once the transfer case disengaged fully. I've owned many 4x4's and know enough of the standard tricks to disengage wheels and this was not the problem. Few Days later, Second trip to the shop and suddenly they realize that they have an "Engineering recall" for this problem. I asked what is an "engineering recall" and why hadn't I herd of this. It appears that an "engineering recall" means they tell the shops but not the customers. That way only those that think it is a problem will bring it back. The real kicker was they had not received the parts to complete the repairs so I would have to come back at a later date to have it fixed. Natural question "was it doing any permanent damage the way it was"? "Of course not", I'm told.

Anyway, I own a 2002 Chevy Silverado with a 6.0L engine. 16K Mile and no problems, no shop visits. I've had that Expedition in six plus times in the same time frame.

Unfortunately, none of these car makers deal honestly with their customers. I love my truck and I know a number of friends who have trucks in the

1998-2003 model years that don't exhibit the slap problem, but have no delusions that all GM products function like the one I own.

Good luck and I hope you get it fixed one way or another.

Reply to
Craig

(reply inline) Re: 2003 04 Piston Slap Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 2:54am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@seething.net (unhappy=A0buyer) "Randall Smith "(Hello Mr Smith if thats your real name)

"Professional My A_ _," (you said it not me)

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. (Noone asked what you believe...They asked what you know)

I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. (Good for you)

The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. (you must go there alot) I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair (no that means ITS NOT AN ISSUE and send the hypocondreact back home)

The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new,

(Should have asked for another one before you ran it into the ground...)

as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled.

(must have been a cruel joke just for you) =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 =A0I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem.

(see its not a problem your over reacting)

I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck

(yep they pin point all the Smiths out)

and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is.

(Sounds like this is slander) =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ).

(ok Mr fix it what is the acceptable oil consumption?) =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs.

(I see the mental side affects it has caused) =A0=A0=A0 =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes.

(Maybe he should read other news groups. They all have one or two of him in there)

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Thanks (NO PROB) this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM. (im Sorry what was your problem?)

Steve C (Believes Scrib is a very cheerfull and informative.....But should really only eat beans when visiting the endlaws...

Reply to
Steve Cook

"We are professional grade" (Who are the we in this comment ? Mr.Smith and Mrs.Smith)

"Professional My A_ _," (you said it not me)

*just a little sarcasm

You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. (Noone asked what you believe...They asked what you know)

*as you, sometimes I like to offer my opinion

I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. (Good for you)

*no, not good

The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. (you must go there alot)

*every three months for an oil change

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair (no that means ITS NOT AN ISSUE and send the hypocondreact back home)

*When I have to sit there and listen to that clacking noise every time I start the truck. Where there's excessive noise such as this, I can only assume that it is being caused by metal hitting metal, that means to me that there is going to be excessive wear and premature failure of the components leading to excessive oil consumtion, compression loss, ect.

The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new,

(Should have asked for another one before you ran it into the ground...)

*this one doesn't make sense, I ran nothing into the ground

as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled.

(must have been a cruel joke just for you)

*again, sarcasm

I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem.

(see its not a problem your over reacting)

*no, I just want the engine fixed

I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck

(yep they pin point all the Smiths out)

*you left out the Jones

and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is.

(Sounds like this is slander)

*this is my opinion based on what I was told by the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" the agent acting on Chevrolet's behalf admitted to me that "this has been going on since 1999 until now, and that they have redesigned the engines to correct this". If Chevrolt wanted to be up front about this they should have told me before I bought the truck and then I could have decided if I still wanted to buy it or not.

In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ).

(ok Mr fix it what is the acceptable oil consumption?)

*I'm not a mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. What I do know is that the oil consumtion rate was increased to allow for this problem. I don't have access to the service tech bulletins put out by Chevrolet to allow me to quote you the figures but I'm sure you can get someone on this NG to post them for you.

Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs.

(I see the mental side affects it has caused)

*Thanks for your concern, I find that discussing this problem is very therapeutic.

I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes.

(Maybe he should read other news groups. They all have one or two of him in there)

*Isn't pathetic how people have the nerve to complain when they think that they have been done wrong.

Thanks (NO PROB) this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM. (im Sorry what was your problem?)

*Chevrolet sold me a truck with a defective engine which they refuse to repair.

Steve C (Believes Scrib is a very cheerfull and informative.....But should really only eat beans when visiting the endlaws...

*also, thanks for helping me keep this issue alive
Reply to
Kiri

Thanks, and I'm glad your having luck with yours

I probably did paint this with too large a brush. I just want an engine that doesn't sound like a mini diesel every time I start it. I really do like the truck - it looks good, rides good, no squeaks or rattles, it just needs the engine fixed. I've looked into the lemon law in my state and it will not help, I also don't think that it would be financially feasible to hire a lawyer and try to take on Chevrolet myself. What I would like to see is a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet to force them to address this issue and make the repairs.

Reply to
Kiri

TOP POST.... Just woundering .....What was your findings when you ran your compression test,and oil consumption test? Also what is your current bore clearence? Are there marking on your cylinder walls or oil rings? Just woundering if this is just another one of those Consumer Report guys.The one who just like to complain when they have no idea how something works. Just read that there was problems and hears a noise in his truck . Then thinks its the same thing. You keep claiming you got screwed but have no data backing up your claim......

The moral of this story.... .Its really easy tell your buddies you got screwed this weekend. But they wount believe it unless you have proof. Steve C

*just a little sarcasm You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. (Noone asked what you believe...They asked what you know) *as you, sometimes I like to offer my opinion I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. (Good for you) *no, not good =A0=A0The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. (you must go there alot) *every three months for an oil change =A0=A0I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair (no that means ITS NOT AN ISSUE and send the hypocondreact back home) *When I have to sit there and listen to that clacking noise every time I start the truck. Where there's excessive noise such as this, I can only assume that it is being caused by metal hitting metal, that means to me that there is going to be excessive wear and premature failure of the components leading to excessive oil consumtion, compression loss, ect. =A0=A0The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new, (Should have asked for another one before you ran it into the ground...) *this one doesn't make sense, I ran nothing into the ground =A0=A0as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled. (must have been a cruel joke just for you) *again, sarcasm I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem. (see its not a problem your over reacting) *no, I just want the engine fixed I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck (yep they pin point all the Smiths out) *you left out the Jones and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is. (Sounds like this is slander) *this is my opinion based on what I was told by the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" the agent acting on Chevrolet's behalf admitted to me that "this has been going on since 1999 until now, and that they have redesigned the engines to correct this". If Chevrolt wanted to be up front about this they should have told me before I bought the truck and then I could have decided if I still wanted to buy it or not. In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ). (ok Mr fix it what is the acceptable oil consumption?) *I'm not a mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. What I do know is that the oil consumtion rate was increased to allow for this problem. I don't have access to the service tech bulletins put out by Chevrolet to allow me to quote you the figures but I'm sure you can get someone on this NG to post them for you. Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs. (I see the mental side affects it has caused) *Thanks for your concern, I find that discussing this problem is very therapeutic. I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes. (Maybe he should read other news groups. They all have one or two of him in there) *Isn't pathetic how people have the nerve to complain when they think that they have been done wrong. Thanks (NO PROB) this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM. (im Sorry what was your problem?) *Chevrolet sold me a truck with a defective engine which they refuse to repair. Steve C (Believes Scrib is a very cheerfull and informative.....But should really only eat beans when visiting the endlaws... *also, thanks for helping me keep this issue alive
Reply to
Steve Cook

do a search for piston slap & you'll find a site that's full of info. Good Luck!

Reply to
Bob Doe