2003 04 Piston Slap

Page 1 of 2
I am interested in buying a new Chevy Suburban and have heard about piston slap problems in past models. Has GM done anything to eliminate this problem in the 2003's or the 2004 models? I understand that you
will not know if your vehicle has the problem until you have driven it for several thousand miles. Any thoughts?
"Randall Smith" wrote

I don't think the problem is completely eliminated, but it appears that the 2003-04 trucks are much better then the 99-02's. We still have yet to tear apart and/or repair even an older one for this problem. Yeah, they are noisy, but it doesn't seem to get any worse as time goes on.
Ian

about
eliminate
you
driven it

Moto cross racers bikes with these "no skirt" pistons are being torn apart and re-done very rapidly I hear.
Hatt
The problem is still there. Buy a ford or Dodge, you'll feel better about your investment.
"Caveat emptor"

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted:

Personally, I wouldn't buy one until I read an article from an authatative publication stating GM had fixed the problem and what they did.
A reputation is easy to lose, damn hard to get back...
If I really needed to buy now, I'd be looking at the new, larger 04 Durango.
You make a good point about the authoritative source. However, I can't find anything on the net that talks to the subject from a third party perspective.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Spike13) wrote in message posted:

. Re: 2003 04 Piston Slap
During the recent daily comedy show.... alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RandallSmith) showed his knowledge of his computers "go to" button in this scene......
<take 1, scene 2>
<snip> I can't find anything on the net that talks to the subject from a third party perspective.
. try this........
GM PISTON SLAP FIASCO HOME PAGE Address:http://www.pistonslap.com
or just use your "go-to" feature and type in piston slap
Scibs Abell ~~typed in "Hell" once.....and was trapped for weeks~~
(Randall Smith) showed his knowledge of his computers "go to" button in this scene......
<take 1, scene 2>
<snip> I can't find anything on the net that talks to the subject from a third party perspective.
. try this........
GM PISTON SLAP FIASCO HOME PAGE Address:http://www.pistonslap.com
or just use your "go-to" feature and type in piston slap
Scibs Abell ~~typed in "Hell" once.....and was trapped for weeks~~
-----seperator mark, non html music.
Very well done site Scibs. I wonder why no one acknowledges it. I have seen similar marks on a cylinder wall from my engine after using Mobile 1.
Hatt
posted:

eliminate
you
it
authatative
Durango.
Get your wallet out for fuel, and take a winter survival kit with you. Around here I see many of these along side the road with the hood up.
Hatt

In a little defense of the Durango (my dad owns one, I have a GMC and my mom has a Buick). My folks just returned from a 12,000 mile trip with the Durango, averaged 13 MPG+, towing a pop-up trailer. He has the original style Durango, with a 5.9 and 3.92 axles. That truck has only gone in for oil changes and we did the front brakes because he scortched them in the Va. hills when the controller for his trailer brakes went out while towing their 28 footer. Oh yeah, he's done shocks and tires also, but there's a running joke that the shocks on them come pre-worn from the factory. He had one problem with the truck on the trip, but we determined it was heat related and would be troublesome for a shop to pinpoint.
Oh yeah, he's looking at replacing the Durango for his towing needs, he's looked at Dodge's offerings in the Rams, but may also be looking at a Duramax.
Sorry, OT, but I DID have to get in a little defense of his truck...

posted:

about
driven
04
you.
and
has
be
looking
No problem here, I understand feelings.
Hatt
Actually a post in rec.autos.tech around a year ago from an authoritative source, the engineer who built the thing: Basically GM new that they had a problem with the piston to bore clearance at 2 mils, reduced to 1 mil for '03. They are much quieter and I have no reports (the 100,000 and 200,000 mile group) that a 5.3 GM has ever come apart for any reason, even with a blower.
As for the other two Detroit vehicles? You'd be strapped trying to survive in a Chevy group with even a mention of a Ford or Dodge. Fittin's you cannot grease? There's an idea for longevity. We could open up our own ball joint factory next door to the Chiropractioner you'll need to iron out the jolts.
Have a great one!
Bush
On 27 Sep 2003 06:45:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randall Smith) wrote:

"We are professional grade"
"Professional My A_ _,"
You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair. The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new, as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled.
I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem. I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is.
In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ).
Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs.
I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes.
Thanks to this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM.
"unhappy buyer" snipped-for-privacy@seething.net posted:

Assuming your state has a decent 'Lemon Law', get a lawyer. Odds are you'll win it. (So far, both my daughter and myself are 1 for 1.)
Spike
~ (WARNING.....TOP POST AHEAD) ~~~ Dear Mr Screwed,
I thunked, and thunked, and thunked about it... and made an earnest effort not to reply to your post........
however......after much thunk'n ........
I fart on you.....blowing you out the NG into the Ford forum......
Scrib Abell ~:~ eats another can of " poke'n beans "........ jest'n'case...duh Screwed up dude comes back~:~
~~~~ ~~~~ On Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 2:54am (CDT+5)
snipped-for-privacy@seething.net (unhappybuyer) went off the deep end...and lambbasted Chevys in the wrong NG....with this spewing of mental cleansing......
"Professional My A_ _," You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair. The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new, as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled. I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem. I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is. In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ). Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs. I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes. Thanks to this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM. ~~~ ~~~ (addendum to Marsh's top post)
your problems are welcome.....your arse-hole approach at degregating Chevy's isn't....
what wuz that word Doc used......
BUNGHOLE !!!
Marsh Monster ~~
[...]
Marsh Monster ~~ After spending $37,000 dollars on a truck and then finding out that Chevy doesn't have the honor or integrity to stand behind their product I will complain any damn way I please.
As for you-
your intelligent fact-full comments are welcome, your insults are not
You now have my permission to stick your head back in the sand and keep believing the lies. I really hate to burst your bubble you sound like such a loyal subject of GM, but they really do have a problem with these engines and they really are trying to cover it up. If you say something long enough and often enough pretty soon you start to believe it yourself. You prove my point.
Marsh Monster ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ snipped-for-privacy@pacific.rim.net (Kiri) (who may or may not be the Screwed Dude that Marsh farted on....) writes in......
"Marsh Monster" ~ After spending $37,000 dollars on a truck and then finding out that Chevy doesn't have the honor or integrity to stand behind their product I will complain any damn way I please.
As for you- your intelligent fact-full comments are welcome, your insults are not
You now have my permission to stick your head back in the sand and keep believing the lies. I really hate to burst your bubble you sound like such a loyal subject of GM, but they really do have a problem with these engines and they really are trying to cover it up.
If you say something long enough and often enough pretty soon you start to believe it yourself.
You prove my point. ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Sir, your complaint has been registered and filed in the appropriate "bin".
Complaints are understandable, hell....I complain more than most...., however your outright condemnation of Chevy's should be addressed in a forum that has been established for that purpose. Perhaps you would be better received in the Dodge or Ford NG's. There, I believe, you would find more sympathetic ears to your campaign.
a few direct responses to your above posted statements....
1) Your $37,000 is a piddly little some of money when it comes to rights for complaining anywhere you want. I laugh at you. lol lol lol
2) If my farting on you insulted you..... I am sorry. For it was merely meant to blow you out the room. Furthermore....you must be lonely in bed if farting drives you away from people....or maybe yer gal-pal eats only roses and petunias for meals....who'm i to know.
3) You did not burst my bubble. So rest assured you should not feel bad about it.
4) If you say something long enough and often enough.....FOOLS WILL REPEAT IT....
5) How did I prove your point. You have'nt heard me say anything about piston slap........now have you??????
Marsh Monster ~:~ eats the other can of "poke'n beans" and looks over at the pissed of dude....think'n maybe he ought to chase them down with a 6 pack of Bud this time~:~
00 L O
.
1) Your $37,000 is a piddly little some of money when it comes to rights for complaining anywhere you want. I laugh at you. lol lol lol
*So my rights are now based on my economic standing in society, or my ability to afford a more expensive vehicle It's pretty obvious that I liked Chevy Trucks otherwise I would not have spent that " piddly little some of money" to purchase mine.
2) If my farting on you insulted you..... I am sorry. For it was merely meant to blow you out the room. Furthermore....you must be lonely in bed if farting drives you away from people....or maybe yer gal-pal eats only roses and petunias for meals....who'm i to know.
*I take your words for what they are and I'm pretty sure you meant them as posted. My knee jerk reaction was to respond in kind, but I respect this NG and will not do that.
*Who are you to appoint yourself censurer of this NG
*Your right, you don't know me.
3) You did not burst my bubble. So rest assured you should not feel bad about it.
*At least I got your attention and made you think about it.
4) If you say something long enough and often enough.....FOOLS WILL REPEAT IT....
*You apparently refuse to believe in any fault concerning Chevrolet. Why did they double the accepted oil consumption rate.
5) How did I prove your point. You have'nt heard me say anything about piston slap........now have you??????
*No, and I don't think that you could bring yourself to make any critical statement about Chevrolet, you know they also put blinders on horses so that they don't see the whole picture and get scared.
Marsh Monster ~:~ eats the other can of "poke'n beans" and looks over at the pissed of dude....think'n maybe he ought to chase them down with a 6 pack of Bud this time~:~
*Go ahead, pop a cap, have one on me and just think about the possibility that you may be wrong concerning Chevrolet's approach to this situation.
A finale thought:
I have had to work hard all my life for what I have and $37,000 to me is not a "piddly little some of money" as a matter of fact it is the most I have ever spent for a vehicle. Mayby that's why I am so upset about this whole situation, I trusted Chevrolet and expected more from.
Jeez I thought that GM had tightened up the 2003's. Went down to Wood's Hole today picked up a 2003 Sub 2500 series 8.1L the engine rattled for a good three minutes at idle. Nice mill warmed up coupled to a 4:10 gearset she had some bottom-end grunt!
Have a great one!
Bush
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:09:04 -0500 (CDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Marsh Monster) wrote:

Its unfortunate that you've had this experience with GM. Any time you buy something as expensive as new vehicles are these days you have a right to expect more.
However, don't think that jumping to Dodge or Ford will cure your woes. I have an Expedition and will never own another. Just to give you one example of the many problems with this 2003 engineering marvel. Shortly after purchase we had our first snow fall. A great opportunity to test the 4wheel drive. After disengaging the 4wheel we began hearing a grinding during turns. We took it in to be told it was normal and that it would clear up once the transfer case disengaged fully. I've owned many 4x4's and know enough of the standard tricks to disengage wheels and this was not the problem. Few Days later, Second trip to the shop and suddenly they realize that they have an "Engineering recall" for this problem. I asked what is an "engineering recall" and why hadn't I herd of this. It appears that an "engineering recall" means they tell the shops but not the customers. That way only those that think it is a problem will bring it back. The real kicker was they had not received the parts to complete the repairs so I would have to come back at a later date to have it fixed. Natural question "was it doing any permanent damage the way it was"? "Of course not", I'm told.
Anyway, I own a 2002 Chevy Silverado with a 6.0L engine. 16K Mile and no problems, no shop visits. I've had that Expedition in six plus times in the same time frame.
Unfortunately, none of these car makers deal honestly with their customers. I love my truck and I know a number of friends who have trucks in the 1998-2003 model years that don't exhibit the slap problem, but have no delusions that all GM products function like the one I own.
Good luck and I hope you get it fixed one way or another.

few
you
said
and