2003 04 Piston Slap

Page 2 of 2

Thanks, and I'm glad your having luck with yours
I probably did paint this with too large a brush. I just want an engine that doesn't sound like a mini diesel every time I start it. I really do like the truck - it looks good, rides good, no squeaks or rattles, it just needs the engine fixed. I've looked into the lemon law in my state and it will not help, I also don't think that it would be financially feasible to hire a lawyer and try to take on Chevrolet myself. What I would like to see is a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet to force them to address this issue and make the repairs.
(reply inline) Re: 2003 04 Piston Slap Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 2:54am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@seething.net (unhappybuyer) "Randall Smith "(Hello Mr Smith if thats your real name)
I am interested in buying a new Chevy Suburban and have heard about piston slap problems in past models. Has GM done anything to eliminate this problem in the 2003's or the 2004 models? I understand that you will not know if your vehicle has the problem until you have driven it for several thousand miles. Any thoughts?\ (Understandable concern) "We are professional grade" (Who are the we in this comment ? Mr.Smith and Mrs.Smith)
"Professional My A_ _," (you said it not me)
You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. (Noone asked what you believe...They asked what you know)
I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. (Good for you)
The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. (you must go there alot) I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair (no that means ITS NOT AN ISSUE and send the hypocondreact back home)
The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new,
(Should have asked for another one before you ran it into the ground...)
as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled.
(must have been a cruel joke just for you) I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem.
(see its not a problem your over reacting)
I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck
(yep they pin point all the Smiths out)
and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is.
(Sounds like this is slander) In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ).
(ok Mr fix it what is the acceptable oil consumption?) Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs.
(I see the mental side affects it has caused) I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes.
(Maybe he should read other news groups. They all have one or two of him in there)
Thanks (NO PROB) this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM. (im Sorry what was your problem?)
Steve C (Believes Scrib is a very cheerfull and informative.....But should really only eat beans when visiting the endlaws...
(reply inline) Re: 2003 04 Piston Slap
"We are professional grade" (Who are the we in this comment ? Mr.Smith and Mrs.Smith)
"Professional My A_ _," (you said it not me)
*just a little sarcasm
You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. (Noone asked what you believe...They asked what you know)
*as you, sometimes I like to offer my opinion
I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. (Good for you)
*no, not good
The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. (you must go there alot)
*every three months for an oil change
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair (no that means ITS NOT AN ISSUE and send the hypocondreact back home)
*When I have to sit there and listen to that clacking noise every time I start the truck. Where there's excessive noise such as this, I can only assume that it is being caused by metal hitting metal, that means to me that there is going to be excessive wear and premature failure of the components leading to excessive oil consumtion, compression loss, ect.
The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new,
(Should have asked for another one before you ran it into the ground...)
*this one doesn't make sense, I ran nothing into the ground
as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled.
(must have been a cruel joke just for you)
*again, sarcasm
I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem.
(see its not a problem your over reacting)
*no, I just want the engine fixed
I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck
(yep they pin point all the Smiths out)
*you left out the Jones
and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is.
(Sounds like this is slander)
*this is my opinion based on what I was told by the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" the agent acting on Chevrolet's behalf admitted to me that "this has been going on since 1999 until now, and that they have redesigned the engines to correct this". If Chevrolt wanted to be up front about this they should have told me before I bought the truck and then I could have decided if I still wanted to buy it or not.
In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ).
(ok Mr fix it what is the acceptable oil consumption?)
*I'm not a mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. What I do know is that the oil consumtion rate was increased to allow for this problem. I don't have access to the service tech bulletins put out by Chevrolet to allow me to quote you the figures but I'm sure you can get someone on this NG to post them for you.
Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs.
(I see the mental side affects it has caused)
*Thanks for your concern, I find that discussing this problem is very therapeutic.
I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes.
(Maybe he should read other news groups. They all have one or two of him in there)
*Isn't pathetic how people have the nerve to complain when they think that they have been done wrong.
Thanks (NO PROB) this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM. (im Sorry what was your problem?)
*Chevrolet sold me a truck with a defective engine which they refuse to repair.
Steve C (Believes Scrib is a very cheerfull and informative.....But should really only eat beans when visiting the endlaws...
*also, thanks for helping me keep this issue alive
TOP POST.... Just woundering .....What was your findings when you ran your compression test,and oil consumption test? Also what is your current bore clearence? Are there marking on your cylinder walls or oil rings? Just woundering if this is just another one of those Consumer Report guys.The one who just like to complain when they have no idea how something works. Just read that there was problems and hears a noise in his truck . Then thinks its the same thing. You keep claiming you got screwed but have no data backing up your claim......
The moral of this story.... .Its really easy tell your buddies you got screwed this weekend. But they wount believe it unless you have proof. Steve C
Re: 2003 04 Piston Slap Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003, 12:03am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@pacific.rim.net (Kiri)
(reply inline) Re: 2003 04 Piston Slap "We are professional grade" (Who are the we in this comment ? Mr.Smith and Mrs.Smith) "Professional My A_ _," (you said it not me) *just a little sarcasm You will serve yourself well by selecting a Ford Expedition or a Dodge Durango for your family. Chevrolet has been selling trucks and SUVs with what I believe are defective engines. (Noone asked what you believe...They asked what you know) *as you, sometimes I like to offer my opinion I made the mistake of purchasing one of their experiments and am now suffering the consequences. After hearing the cold start engine noise I took the truck into the dealer. (Good for you) *no, not good The first few times they said that it was normal and that they had received a "do not repair order" from GM. (you must go there alot) *every three months for an oil change I don't know if I'm misunderstanding that, but if you issue a "do not repair order" then that means that their is something to repair (no that means ITS NOT AN ISSUE and send the hypocondreact back home) *When I have to sit there and listen to that clacking noise every time I start the truck. Where there's excessive noise such as this, I can only assume that it is being caused by metal hitting metal, that means to me that there is going to be excessive wear and premature failure of the components leading to excessive oil consumtion, compression loss, ect. The noise continued to grow in intensity and length, so I took the truck in again and this time made an issue of having them check it out. I left the truck with the dealer overnight so that they could hear the noise themselves. This time instead of saying again that it was normal, they said that they had spoken with the GM tech advisers and now claim that it is "carbon buildup on the pistons" I asked if they would fix this problem and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I only have 5700 miles on this vehicle and have had this noise since new, (Should have asked for another one before you ran it into the ground...) *this one doesn't make sense, I ran nothing into the ground as I have continually told the dealer. The idea that this is "carbon buildup on the pistons" is a joke, that is unless the truck was delivered to the dealer with the carbon preinstalled. (must have been a cruel joke just for you) *again, sarcasm I called the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" and they also were well trained, they said the same line, Carbon Deposits. She admitted this has been going on since 1999 until now, that they have redesigned the engines to correct this while still insisting that it is not a problem. (see its not a problem your over reacting) *no, I just want the engine fixed I feel that Chevrolet knowingly sold me a defective truck (yep they pin point all the Smiths out) *you left out the Jones and in my opinion that is fraud, If you think these engines aren't defective just go out and see what the resale value is. (Sounds like this is slander) *this is my opinion based on what I was told by the "Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center" the agent acting on Chevrolet's behalf admitted to me that "this has been going on since 1999 until now, and that they have redesigned the engines to correct this". If Chevrolt wanted to be up front about this they should have told me before I bought the truck and then I could have decided if I still wanted to buy it or not. In the end they refused to fix the problem and offered me a 3 year extension (only covering the engine) to my warranty, I asked what the hell good that would do me, if they say that it's not a problem now are they all of a sudden going to say it's a problem in three years and fix it (keep in mind that they have doubled the acceptable oil consumption rate to cover this ). (ok Mr fix it what is the acceptable oil consumption?) *I'm not a mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. What I do know is that the oil consumtion rate was increased to allow for this problem. I don't have access to the service tech bulletins put out by Chevrolet to allow me to quote you the figures but I'm sure you can get someone on this NG to post them for you. Chevrolet has conducted an experiment with these engines and we, the consumers are the guineapigs. (I see the mental side affects it has caused) *Thanks for your concern, I find that discussing this problem is very therapeutic. I will never buy a GM product again. Ford, Dodge, Japanese products, anything is better than dealing with a company that is eager to take your money and then doesn't care about your problems with their mistakes. (Maybe he should read other news groups. They all have one or two of him in there) *Isn't pathetic how people have the nerve to complain when they think that they have been done wrong. Thanks (NO PROB) this Newsgroup for giving me a forum to state my problem with Chevrolet and GM. (im Sorry what was your problem?) *Chevrolet sold me a truck with a defective engine which they refuse to repair. Steve C (Believes Scrib is a very cheerfull and informative.....But should really only eat beans when visiting the endlaws... *also, thanks for helping me keep this issue alive
do a search for piston slap & you'll find a site that's full of info. Good Luck!
TOP POST.... Just woundering .....What was your findings when you ran your compression test,and oil consumption test? Also what is your current bore clearence? Are there marking on your cylinder walls or oil rings? Just woundering if this is just another one of those Consumer Report guys.The one who just like to complain when they have no idea how something works. Just read that there was problems and hears a noise in his truck . Then thinks its the same thing. You keep claiming you got screwed but have no data backing up your claim......
The moral of this story.... .Its really easy tell your buddies you got screwed this weekend. But they wount believe it unless you have proof. Steve C
*As I previously said, I am not a mechanic but I do know how the engine functions. The most I have ever done on an engine was to replace the cam shaft in my 1974 Cheyenne Super 20 2x which had a 350 4bl and the only mistake I made was I put the distributor in 180* backwards, it took me a couple of hours to figure out why it wouldn't start but I did figure it out. I bought this truck new for a little under $5,000 (I have been buying Chevy's for a long time).
I don't have the resources to gamble with in order to hire a lawyer, and a qualified mechanic to disassemble the engine to get those specs. so that I can sue Chevrolet and force them to fix this engine. What I do know is that when you have metal against metal that makes as loud of a noise as my engine makes at start up that there is a problem and I am very concerned about the life expectancy of this engine.
"Kiri" wrote

I wouldn't worry about the life expectancy of the engine. I work in a GM dealership, and we have yet to actually take apart one of these engines for the "piston slap" noise that you are experiencing. And it's been 4 years since these engines made their appearance. Yes, they make noise cold, yes it's annoying, yes, I wouldn't be that excited about it if I owned one, no, it doesn't do any real damage that I've seen.
This piston slap problem has been around for ages, it's nothing new. The rise of the internet has simply made the info available to everyone, and all the people that are concerned now have a place to either bitch about the problem, or discover a whole lot of other people that are having the same problem. But trust me, it's been around for quite a while. I was replacing pistons on Chrysler 3.3 v-6's for the same reason over 8 years ago. Nothing wrong with the engines, just customers all excited about the "ticking" noise in the morning. GM has just decided that they aren't going to replace pistons for every complaining customer, as the problem will simply re-appear within a certain time frame anyway.
Ian

I generally agree with you, and have not read the entire post's thread. I came in on the guy you are replying to here.
Ian, do you have any expertise with different cast irons' properties used in engines?
Hatt

I don't think that I am over reacting, but I hope your right.
The way I understand it is,some of the cylinders get bored slightly oversize & the newer short skirt pistons are galling in the cylinder also galling the cylinder. Which will lead to low compression & oil useage.BUT GM claims it's all normal?? I would too do you have a clue how many engines are affected just do to piston-slap.com & find out the TRUTH!!!!!
======= ====== (coments in paranthesis...provided by.....)
The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (SteveCook) (reply inline)
snipped-for-privacy@seething.net (unhappybuyer) "Randall Smith" wrote in......
Hello Group..... "(Hello Mr Smith if thats your real name)
[...]
(Believes Scrib is a very cheerfull and informative.....But should really only eat beans when visiting the endlaws...) =========== =========== you're relentless......
and getting oh ...so....much better.
lol
marsh monster ~:~puts the beans away.....fer now~:~

I've seen engines laying on the floor out of brand new rigs at one of the biggest Chevrolet dealers in the entire country. I don't know if they're the engine you are talking about, but I do know that they were warranty repairs.

I agree, and I told them that in 1974. They made it good, [Detroit management], and put in my third new engine in less than 12 thousand miles. I haven't had a problem with GM again till I bought a used 88. That was my fault though.

I can empathize with that.
Hatt
I don't have the software to do this, so I will do it virtually
<PLONK>

For the moment, all I have to add is that moto cross 4 strokers are not doing well right now. In that broad vein, it is supposedly because of a piston with NO skirting. Prove it doesn't work? I can't, its just what I heard. Supposedly, they are getting it right, but I can't prove that either.
Hatt