2003 Avalanche - Exhaust smell inside vehicle.

I've been getting exhaust odors inside my vehicle , but only when the heater or air conditioning is on. And not all the time. usually (but not only)when I've been driving for at least a few minutes and when I
come to a stop, a smell comes from the air vents. If the air is off, then there is no problem. The truck is under warrantee, but I took it to the dealer and they found no problem. Well, actually they told me If I had more gas in my car they would have looked for the problem a little longer. They said Its not there responsibility to put gas in it. I gave them over $100k in the last 3 years for vehicles I purchased and they treated me this way. Oh and they scratched it too. Enough said on that, One more thing to add to my problem, I had a small rear end collision on this truck. I bent the bumper about an inch in on the driver side. It doesn't seem to have affected the tailgate seal in any way. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Put your money where your mouth is and boycott all GM products and member companies. They have your money now so screw off.

You should get a CO2 tester because if you are getting exhaust in your cab it could cause you to fall asleep at the wheel, or pass out, I know someone who totaled a car that way.
Could the fender bender have cracked the Exhaust manifold or something of the sort, by pushing the whole exhaust system forward. The exhaust system has alot of play in it, it could have easily been pushed back 2" and drifted back like nothing had happened.
Corey

CO,CO2 is what you exhale.

My bad Carbon monoxide

Both will asphixiate you, cause you to fall into a very deep sleep.
~TLGM/KJ

On 16 Apr 2004 09:55:09 -0700, pde_on snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lonely G-Monkey) wrote:

actually, CO2 will suffocate you by displacing oxygen in the air, CO with asphixiate you, by removing your ability to use oxygen by binding to the hemoglobin in your blood.
-Bret

asphyxiate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-fks-t) v. asphyxiated, asphyxiating, asphyxiates v. tr. To cause asphyxia in; smother. v. intr. To undergo asphyxia; suffocate.
I wasn't trying to define how it caused death, just that the symptoms are the same. Either way, you fall asleep and don't wake up. But thank you for trying to make me look less knowledgeable.
~KJ/TLGM

That small collision probably screwed up a seal on the rear divider panel. Those things are a joke anyway since I have yet to see one that doesn't leak.
--
Steve Williams

"walt" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Walt, My best 'guess' is that the rear-bumper collision pushed on the exhaust system enough to 'open' the exhaust at the connection from the front Y to the exhaust manifolds. I'm not sure if your 2003 Avalanche uses the same spring-mounted connection from the front Y to the exhaust manifolds as my older S-10's have used. But with poor connections at that point I have had the problem you described. When under the hood there was exhaust present and usually (not alwayse) a slight 'taping/puffing' sound. My best suggestion is to carefully inspect those connections, and look for any exhaust gases under the hood - try having someone hold a rag over the tail pipe while you look for a leak near the engine - it could be elsewhere in the exhaust system too. Meanwhile, please keep a window open. Elliott
walt wrote:

I had worked on the fixturing of the muffler assembly on GM Trucks for 2000 I don't think they changed much from there but they looked like above. the Y is welded after the muffler. There were some models that had a single pipe going into the muffler. They never did tell us exactly which models they were going on. Anyway I would check all the forward connections to see where and if the exhaust is getting into the engine compartment. I can't imagine that it has anything to do with the back wall of the cab since it is only present with the fan on, which would create higher pressure in the cab than outside.

gm could never make t-tops not leak what the he## made you think a stupid idea like theavalanche would work?
2003 Avalanche - Exhaust smell inside vehicle. Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Apr 15, 2004, 4:39am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (walt) I've been getting exhaust odors inside my vehicle , but only when the heater or air conditioning is on. And not all the time. usually (but not only)when I've been driving for at least a few minutes and when I come to a stop, a smell comes from the air vents. If the air is off, then there is no problem. The truck is under warrantee, but I took it to the dealer and they found no problem. Well, actually they told me If I had more gas in my car they would have looked for the problem a little longer. They said Its not there responsibility to put gas in it. I gave them over $100k in the last 3 years for vehicles I purchased and they treated me this way. Oh and they scratched it too. Enough said on that, One more thing to add to my problem, I had a small rear end collision on this truck. I bent the bumper about an inch in on the driver side. It doesn't seem to have affected the tailgate seal in any way. Any suggestions would be helpful.