2003 Chevrolet Express Van Brake Light Warning

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Express van (custom), with four wheel disk and ABS brakes. The brake warning light (not ABS) is continously flashing and an alarm bell (ping-ping-ping) will sound continuosly (but only ping's when the vehicle is in motion). The manuals I've looked at indicate that it could be low brake fluid or the emergency brake is on. The fluid is fine and the emergency brake releases fine. I've taken it to Belle Tire and they couldn't figure it out. Before I take it to the Chevrolet dealer and pay through the nose, I thought I'd throw this out there for all of you internet gear heads. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

Reply to
brakeconfused

On my 2000 Silverado, the brake light flashes when my emergency brake is on. It would stand to reason it would ping in gear, as to warn you. My lights do not turn on when the emergency brake is on though.

Reply to
Bill

The e-brake switch is usually just a simple grounded wire. See if you can find the switch, and pull off the wire - noise goes away, you've probably got a bumb switch.

If that doesn't do it, find your proportioning valve under the hood - should be a connector in the middle. Pull that off and see if the light turns off. If it does... you have a pressure imbalance in the system, and it needs to be addressed by a professional! Resist the urge to drive it far in that case.

Reply to
John Craker