2004 2500HD 4X4 Duramax LLY

Hello all, Just bought a 2004.5 Duramax Silverado and was starting to look it over some. I was reading in the manual about grease fittings so I went out and
got under it and I can find 6 on the front steering rods. How many are there and where are they? Is that all there is?
Bugsy
Don't Know !
But Congratulations on your new Truck I love mine ! I have 8000 miles on mine in 5 1/2 weeks the new 2004 LLY engine is impressive !!!!!
Have a Great One ! BOB :)
Bugsy wrote:

Counting the upper and lower ball joints, there should be 10, I believe. 4 for the upper and lower ball joints, 4 for the inner and outer tie rod ends, 2 for the pitman and idler arms....oops, make that 3 for the pitman and idler arms...so 11 in total.
Ian

Ian, is there a special tool for lubing the lower idler and pitman fittings? I am considering replacing the zerks with 90's because I can't get on them. H
Hairy wrote:

No, you can get to them without a special tool, but you need a long flexible hose. Putting 90's in is not a bad idea, especially if you have the time to do it.
Ian
Even w/ a flexible hose the tops of the idler/pitman are a "bear!" I have to remove the skid plate from the frame to get to the passenger side fitting. There just isn't an easy way to do it as far as I've found over the past two years. Some scraped knuckles await! :-)

fittings?
them.

rods.
believe.
Bugsy wrote:

I've got 11 on my my 1500...
Ball joints, upper/lower = 4 Tie rods, inner/outer = 4 One on the pitman arm side of the idler arm, two on the "other side" of the idler.
Idler arm is the correct term, right? The bar that connects the tie rods together, and has a swiveling mount to the frame. It's what the pitman arm off the steering box bolts to.
-marc

together, and has a swiveling mount to the frame. It's what the pitman arm off the steering box bolts to.

Relay rod or center link is the correct term. The Idler Arm is on the passenger side, connected to the frame...