2004 Duramax Question

All,
I'm looking at a 2004 Chevy with a Duramax/auto that has 146,000 miles on it. I was wondering if that is considered high miles for this vehicle and what if anything in particular I should look at with regards
to wear on this model truck,
Thanks, Roger
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

In general for a deisel that is no where near high. I would caution you to verify any and all modifications that may have been done to it, as well as servicing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I disagree. While they tend to last longer they aree not semi motors as many seem to equate them too. 146,000 miles in 3 years is a lot of driving. Engine is out of warranty and they are very expensive to repair if need be. I would say walk away from this one fast unless maybe it is dirt cheap. As a 2004 they are going to want a bit of money and it is safe to say that more than 1/2 service life of truck is gone menaing it is going to need engine, tranny and chassis work sometime in future. The question is when. Also the front ball joints do not last long in Dmax trucks because of weight of engine and unless they have been replaced recently, they will need replacing now. A gas truck with 150K miles has a lot less to go wrong with it and is a safer by because it is simpler and cheaper to fix too. his is not a gas vs diesel pitch here but buyer beware on a high mileage diesel with no firm history of usage and maintainace and no warranty. Last I heard the injectors in that engine were 400 bucks a piece. GM has had some issues with injectors through 2004 models. Not as bad as Ford's 6.0 but issues none the same. If you really want a diesel and are new to this find a lower mileage mill with some warranty on engine because you do not want to cut your teeth on this one. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Why does it not suprise me (or anyone else) that you would disagree with something about a deisel engine. It is "public" knowledge that you have great disdain for them as you feel they are nasty dirty and useless.
If 146k on a d is a lot, what is 200k on a gasser that has never need nor had a rebuild and still runs like it did the day it was bought?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Duramax. While 146,000 miles isn't a lot on that drive train it is high mileage for an '04. Check Kelly Blue Book and NADA as I believe both of them consider mileage in determining the value of the vehicle. Both of those sources showed a sizeable hit in the value of my '01 due to 'high mileage'. There was nothing wrong with my '01, it was just 'high mileage.'
In my opinion, a Duramax with 146,000 miles, unlike a gasser of that mileage, still has lots of miles to go before it is worn out. Just don't pay the same amount as you would for an '04 with 50,000 miles.
Ron
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I still disagree because properly maintained, 200K plus is easy to do on a gasser. It is all in how well you maintain it. 150K in 3 years is a lot for a gas or dieisel moter in a LD truck but the difference is "IF' the Dmax needs repairs out of warranty you will cry over bill and I would not get a high MPG one of unknow maintaince quality with no warranty. Get one with some engine warranty so you are not left out in cold with a used one. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion, just like we are entitled to ours. However, I believe your opinion is not shared by the majority.
Ron
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The problem is mine is driven by logic and yours ego like some others and you will not pay his repair bills if you are wrong and it is a expensive risk. There simple is a lot to go wrong with the controls on that engine and none of them are cheap to fix out of warranty and I factor that in my answers while you do not. If it had 80 or 90K on it is would still have some engine warranty at least. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ron, you will find the more you read from him, that his opinion is very rarely shared by the majority.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Ron
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Why does it not surprize me as to how blind you are to simple logic. This is no surprize for a troll though. It has nothing to do with my personal preferances. I just advise people of possible problem for bad advise from troll like you telling them that it is like a semi truck motor and it will last 300 or more K miles with ease but it is not a semi motor and its very techology makes it more trouble prone as it ages and more expensive to fix as there is nothing cheap about repairing one of those out of warranty.

Guess what Troll, I have run many gassers past 200K plus and they ran fine. As a amtter of fact I have never worn one out to require a rebuilt on anything I have bought new in over 30 years. I have a old 89 4x4 burb that I bought new that has 181K on it and it runs like new and uses no oil and idles smooth and gets great MPG for its type. That engine easily has another 100K or more in it. It still. has great oil pressure and quiet when it idles. These days it is not driven daily and at times it sits a lot in winter to keep it out of salt but I can go out after it has set for several weeks when it is below zero and it will start right now without a fuss if I need it. If it had been a diesel that old it would have had a lot of problems by now. There was a time when diesel were low tech and pretty simply and not much to go wrong with them but that is not the case now because there is a lot more to go wrong with its controls. Also if you put a 10 or 12 quart oil pan on a gass motor with a good cooling system and HD oil cooler it will last a long tiime even when being worked very hard. The problem is while a diesel comes with these things by default, it cannot survive without them while a gas motor can. If diesels in LD trucks last longer it is because their owner maintain them better but they have to because failure to do so will shorten their life a lot. But a this is too much logic for a Troll so knock yourself out with some other pointless dribble. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'm a troll, man you are funny! Don't you have an answer to post in the Dodge group about the knock sensor you say exists on a Dodge V-10?
I don't give bad advice, that is you that does so. Remember your advice to a woman in the Dodge group that had a bad speed sensor? If not I'll remind you, you told her to trade it in for a $50.00 part.
As to it being a "semi-truck" motor, I never state that or anything to that affect. HOWEVER, being that it is a diesel, ever with 146k it has MUCH more life in it than you want the OP to believe. Even if it is only 3 years old, if it has not been modified and regularly maintained, there should be little wrong with it, regardless of the milage. I am quite sure the OP knows it is out of warranty, and I am quite sure the OP is aware of the other possible issues with the vehicle, else he would not be looking at buying it.

So, 200k on a gasser is fine, but becasue of your hatred of diesels 146k is too much? A diesel is made to out last a gasser, so would you care to explain your logic here?
> But a this is too much logic for a Troll so knock yourself out with

No logic is not too much for me to understand, it is you who is to much. But hey, no worries, people much more knowledgable in diesel will chime in and will continue to prove you wrong.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I well remeber and other agreed that older Dodes can sometimes milk your money away as I did not have only veiw like that.

No, how much life it has left depends on how it was maintained more than engine type but trolls like you do not understand that because it is like because it is a diesel is is guarenteed to last a lot longers when it is not. This is not a old Ford PS or CTD with a low tech mechanical pump that can run 1000's of hours. Nor do you even consider what low sulpher fuel and its change in lubrication properties will have on that engines pump and injection system because GM is tight lipped about it. You are playing a experament and he is the test subject for your to feed your ego because I do not think the OP understands how expensive it is to have it worked on out of warranty. Maybe you like having a engine with 400 buck a pop injectors and no warranty, I do not. They had trouble with them and changed there design again in 05 because of this. They did extend warranty on some 2002 thru 2004 models injectors to 200K but only if problem surfaced in first 100K and you complained about it. You know I have a freind that bought a Dmax new in 05 and he was all hyped up about it (his first diesel) but the honeymoon is over and he wants to get rid of it and has no more desire for another one. He wishes he had held out for a 8.1 instead. I error to caution while you as a true troll errors to ego. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Gee, thats funny, I have made the statement TWICE about checking modification and maintainence records. To ensure that proper servicing was performed. Here you sit saying the exact thing that I had mentioned, but if it is from anyone but you, they are wrong.

News flash for you, because it is a diesel, when properly maintained it IS guarenteed to last longer! This is not opinion, this is FACT, something you have no concept of understanding. Why the hell do you think that there is a longer warranty period on a diesel then a gasser? Simple, because they last longer and when properly maintained are less likely to encouter a problem and will/may take longer to do so IF/WHEN they do.
This is not a old Ford PS or CTD with a low tech

You have a friend? This is highly doubtfull
You Snotroll are the one with the Ego problem not I. If you insist you don't care to explain why you are so much a coward that you will not answer the questions that have been repeatedly asked to answer in the Dodge group. Wait, I'll answer that for you, because you were wrong, you were caught, you were called on it and now you tuck tail and run instead of stepping up and admitting to it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

If the above is any indication of your knowledge of Duramax, their injectors and their warranty, then there is a great deal you know that simply isn't so!
The injector warranty on my '01 was extended to 200,000 miles. It made no difference if the problem occurred at 99,000 miles or 199,000 miles, it was covered. The problem with injectors through, I believe, the '04s was a single bad batch of steel used by Bosch(?) to make injectors. If you had injector made from that batch of steel they were going to fail. The warranty through GM was actually covered by Bosch(?) or perhaps even went back to the steel manufacturer.
Ron

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 8 May 2007 22:39:32 -0400, roger wrote

While I agree that 146k is not too much on a Duramax, the fact that someone drove this vehicle so much in 3 (+/-) years, you need to consider potential repairs as everything else wears out. Have you priced a tranny, rear diff, exhaust etc.? While a good strong engine is very important, I would be looking at the entire package....A diesel nice to have (my next Silverado will be a diesel), but what's it worth when you're constantly fixing/repairing the rest of the truck....
My 2 coppers for what they're worth...Good Luck
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.