2004 Z71

Guys

I have a 2004 double cab Z71 5300 engine 14,xxx miles. It has a surging with gentle acceleration when it is cold. It generally emits a nasty odor, not sulphur but a hard to describe odor that is noticed when it is at idle regardless of warm or cold. Mileage is 14 to 15 on two lane highways in the country. It has set no codes and Chevy says it is fine by their machine. Great rig but the surge, smell and mileage no better than my 90 with 197,xxx miles is disturbing. Any ideas?

Reply to
Denny Ruebush

I'm sorry I cannot help you but my '01 Z71 get's between 19 to 20 mpg on two lane highway and 13 when I pull a 26' 6,500 pound travel trailer with the transmission locked out of overdrive. I wouldn't take my Chevy dealers word on this...go to other dealers and contact the regional office if you have to.

Reply to
Advocate

my 04 gmc sierra extended cab 4x4 gets an about 15-17 mpg round town, rteally havent taken it on road trip to know what it gets there. i drive 35 miles one way to work at a speed of about 55 to get this mileage. i have the 5.3 engine. my range meter when i fill up says i can go 450-490 miles per tank, 26 gallon tank.

Reply to
Charles H.

You have a warrenty. Go to another dealer. You are getting about the same mpg as my 6.0 2500 HD

Reply to
Bill