2006 Avalanche

Just purchase a new 2006 Avalanche. Had a couple of questions for the group.
First, why does GM not offer a 3.73 axle ratio in the 1500? You can get
3.42, or 4.10 only. The 3.73 is an option in the 2500.
Second, I am still looking for a web site or publication that describes the workings of the auto mode of the 4WD system. If anyone know were to find details and theory of operation, I would appreciate a heads up.
Owners manual explains the 4awd sytem and it's use.

-
Well Shep, that was really helpful.
If anyone else has something more technical then a 2 year old would want to read about the operation of the transfer case and front deferential when in automatic, I would love to see it.

Roller wrote:

Didn't I respond to this once, and include half the manual about how it works? Maybe I'm thinking about someone else. If so, let me know and I'll repost.
Ian
I found a link with all of the details I was looking for.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?PHPSESSIDK9b40c203e04771f13185b729b13ac0&topicA895.new