2006 'Burb: Remove Center Console?

I'm shopping for a replacement for my '98 (roof rusting through at rack attachment points).
But I don't want a center console taking up my knee room.
Is there any reason why I can't yank the thing out and maybe replace it with a box between the seats?
viz: http://tinyurl.com/284gstr
--
PeteCresswell

Pete, it may look funny but I think the console from my 97 Yukon would fit between the seats on that 06. I moved mine back about an inch to give more room for a Ram Mount. It still doesnt intrude into the backseat foot room, in fact it gives better access to the cup holders built into the back end of the console. Unless there is a CD changer under that console it might be worth looking at. Do your legs really touch the full length console in the 06? Or do you just feel closed in? Regards, JR
Per JR:

I have not tried it yet, but my legs flop so much to each side that I'd call it a virtual certainty. On a lot of vehicles, the only question is "what do they flop against"..... On Ford's Flex, unfortunately, it's the hard edge of the console....
But you're also on track with the "closed in" observation.
I'm nursing a theory that the designers of American cars believe that if there is too much space, the occupants will feel insecure - so they trash it up as much as possible by extending the dashboard out, putting in between-seat consoles, hump-mount gear shifters... and so-forth.... -)
--
PeteCresswell