2007 1500 Silverado EXT. Cab 4X4 - 4.8L v-8 with the L1 package.

I bought a new 2007 1500 Silverado EXT. Cab 4X4 4.8L V-8 with the L1 package; Last month, June 02. 2008.
When I got it, it was getting 13.9 mpg. It is up to 14.5 after 1200 miles;
according to the computer in the truck.
Is this the best I can expect and what can I do to make it better? A friend with a F 150 put a Chiller intake on his and says he is doing better fuel wise and picked up HP. He paid $265.00 for it and only took 45 min to install.
I am thinking about doing the same; should I?
GKShadow wrote:

It's a TRUCK! The cold air intakes are a farce. Take a look at where 99% of the cold air kits pick up the air. From UNDER the hood. About the only place with hotter air is the exhaust itself.
--
Steve W.

Sounds about right. Thanks Greg

GKShadow wrote:

No way that a 265 dollar device has any type of compressor in it.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

It's not a compressor, it's a venture; a funnel type device that compresses the air and cools it.
GKShadow wrote:

Hate to tell you but ANY compression of air HEATS the air. That is why turbocharged engines use inter coolers. A venturi only does one thing, it increases the velocity of the substance going through it. The catch there is that the increased velocity gets stopped as soon as it hits the intake manifold.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Yeah, but they look cool. :) -- Old Crow '82 FLTC(P)'Pearl' '87 FLTC '?' '61 F-100 BS#132, TOMKAT, SENS, SLOB#13