2500HD rough idle

I had my 2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 at the dealer for rough idling (slight shake) three times and they can not find anything wrong with the truck. Did anybody else have this complaint? I already have had a bad experience with warranty work and I do not trust any dealer.

Reply to
Florian Reher

I'm sure they told you that it was "normal"

Reply to
CADDman

sell it while you still can get some money for it

Reply to
whiplash

depends on what you call "rough". I wouldn't call mine rough, but it sure isn't smooth, either. my `00 did it. my `02 does it too.

Mike `02 Silverado 2500HD

Reply to
Janitor Boy Jr

I'd check the plug gaps, I pulled the OEM plugs in my '99 Yuk at 65k and found the gaps running from .055 to .065 . Wonder what the .055 plug was gapped at when it was installed at the factory? Only about half where even close, double plats don't wear that much and don't close up when wearing out. Idles smooth now with properly gapped plugs. The dealer isn't gonna pull plugs and check them unless ones completely dead and misfiring. Ya probably got the same plug installer on your truck as I had on mine.

Reply to
Repairman

Florian, I had a similar problem with my K2500. I came to this newsgroup for an answer to this problem about 2 years ago and this is the answer I received from a "Dean Dardwin" and it solved my problem.

"This is very common. I'll bet there is MTBE and/or ethyl alcohol in your gas, right? They fouled your injectors. Try running a tank with Chevron's TECHRON Fuel Injector Cleaner and see if it doesn't improve. Don't substitute. I have to run some about every 10th tank or so."

Therefore, I filled the gas tank with Chevron premium gas and added a bottle of Chevron's TECHRON Fuel Injector Cleaner to the gas tank and after about

100 miles the problem went away. A couple of months later, I actually caught my wife using other cheaper brands (against my instructions) when I noticed it happening again. I just added a bottle of Chevron's TECHRON Fuel Injector Cleaner to a full tank of Chevron premium gasoline and the problem goes away. Now, as regular maintenance, I just add a bottle every 3000 miles - when I change the motor oil. Good luck and thank "Dean Dardwain" if it works.

Jabs

Reply to
Jabs

Thanks,