2nd battery option on 98 Burb

as you all know , i test drove my new (hopefully) suburban today and noticed a second tray for a battery.

this is pretty neat, so let me ask yall, what do you use it for? the second battery? mini freezer in the burb? an inverter?

eager to know,

walter

Reply to
Wally

it could be for a suburban that has a diesel engine.

Reply to
Adam

Or a plow package...you might now want to purchase a vehicle that's been plowed with.

Reply to
Advocate

It is not standard with any package with a gas engine. It is a separate option and easy to add to a existing vehicle, new or used (I did twice). I would not get a used plow truck because few operatot take good care of them and they ar usually beat when they are done with them.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Is it just an extra battery, or do you need a bigger alternator?

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

it wasnt plowed with, the owner was a horse farmer and died. his wife sold the truck to the dealership.

so he towed horses with it.

is that an especially bad thing? i know a plow is real bad but towing is what it was made for right?

Reply to
Wally

It wont ever hurt to tow with a truck if its properly done.

Reply to
Adam

Reply to
TheSnoMan

wally here.

well i have all the service records for it and he took great care. the paint is excellent and the interior is mint. i have a feeling he took real good care of it. especially with the records being supplied with it and it comes with a warrenty

12 months 15k miles. which i could extend to 45000 mikes or 3 years...for an additional 600 bucks...is that worth in your opinions?
Reply to
wwelle

Is it a GMPP extended warranty?

Reply to
TheSnoMan

My 1997 Suburban came with a tray for a second battery! I thought they all did. II have never installed a second battery though.

Droopy

Reply to
Droopy

The factory options list 2 ways to hook up a second battery.

One is just positive to positive neg to neg. This is good for starting power and plowing.

The second is an isolated unit. Aux battery is only connected to the main when there is alternator output. The main bat provides all power for starting etc. This is good for inverters, refers, trailers. You can draw down the aux battery completely and still start the truck. I have an isolated system to power my 2500watt inverter. I use it all day for power tools instead of hauling around the genset.

If you do add a second battery (as in option 1) you should also change the main battery so they are both the same. If not the weak one will always be draining the good one.

Reply to
calhoun

yeah, but hooking them up + to + and - to -, wouldnt that be 24 volts and that would burn things up.

Reply to
Adam

It would be the same as using jumper cables - 12 volts!

Al

Reply to
ajtessier

yes, but when you hit the starter, 24 volts would go into it.

Reply to
Adam
+12 -- -12 +12 --- -12 = 24vdc Battery 1 battery 2 (Series connection)

+12 -- +12 & -12 -- -12 = 12vdc Battery 1 positive to battery 2 positive etc (Parallel connection)

Look in your flashlight.. 1.5v bulb or 3v bulb? (2 1.5 v batteries)

Reply to
Bill

Nope. Hooking up the batteries in parallel will provide 12 volts. If you connected them in series - you'd get 24 volts. I just did a Google search to try to find a pic for ya, and here's an example:

My 96 Yukon has a plastic storage box on the opposite side of where the battery is. I'm going to have to visit the wrecking yards to see if I can find a battery tray for the other side.

SuperDave

Reply to
SuperDave

Dunno about 98s but my 99 K1500 Burb (5.7L gas engine) came with dual batteries from the factory. RPO is TP3. Maybe the shop manual will have info on how you'd hook one up. Not near the truck at the moment so don't know how mine is hooked up.

Reply to
dm012902

It came as a factory option, not as standard. Somebody ordered it that way for inventory or client.

Reply to
TheSnoMan