2nd battery option on 98 Burb

as you all know , i test drove my new (hopefully) suburban today and noticed a second tray for a battery.
this is pretty neat, so let me ask yall, what do you use it for? the second
battery? mini freezer in the burb? an inverter?
eager to know,
walter
it could be for a suburban that has a diesel engine.

trailer special.

Or a plow package...you might now want to purchase a vehicle that's been plowed with.
Advocate wrote:

It is not standard with any package with a gas engine. It is a separate option and easy to add to a existing vehicle, new or used (I did twice). I would not get a used plow truck because few operatot take good care of them and they ar usually beat when they are done with them.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Is it just an extra battery, or do you need a bigger alternator?
-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.

Dunno about 98s but my 99 K1500 Burb (5.7L gas engine) came with dual batteries from the factory. RPO is TP3. Maybe the shop manual will have info on how you'd hook one up. Not near the truck at the moment so don't know how mine is hooked up.
snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

It came as a factory option, not as standard. Somebody ordered it that way for inventory or client.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

It wont ever hurt to tow with a truck if its properly done.

It will "hurt" it some but not much is towed properly. The problem is is what, where and how it was towed with. Extra batteies is a very good option to have twoiing or not because it gives you more starting power and a lot more reserve power if alt fails or you leave you lights on.
Adam wrote:

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Is it a GMPP extended warranty?
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

noticed
second

The factory options list 2 ways to hook up a second battery.
One is just positive to positive neg to neg. This is good for starting power and plowing.
The second is an isolated unit. Aux battery is only connected to the main when there is alternator output. The main bat provides all power for starting etc. This is good for inverters, refers, trailers. You can draw down the aux battery completely and still start the truck. I have an isolated system to power my 2500watt inverter. I use it all day for power tools instead of hauling around the genset.
If you do add a second battery (as in option 1) you should also change the main battery so they are both the same. If not the weak one will always be draining the good one.
yeah, but hooking them up + to + and - to -, wouldnt that be 24 volts and that would burn things up.

It would be the same as using jumper cables - 12 volts!
Al

yes, but when you hit the starter, 24 volts would go into it.

+12 -- -12 +12 --- -12 = 24vdc Battery 1 battery 2 (Series connection)
+12 -- +12 & -12 -- -12 = 12vdc Battery 1 positive to battery 2 positive etc (Parallel connection)
Look in your flashlight.. 1.5v bulb or 3v bulb? (2 1.5 v batteries)

Nope. Hooking up the batteries in parallel will provide 12 volts. If you connected them in series - you'd get 24 volts. I just did a Google search to try to find a pic for ya, and here's an example:
http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_battery_wiring.html
My 96 Yukon has a plastic storage box on the opposite side of where the battery is. I'm going to have to visit the wrecking yards to see if I can find a battery tray for the other side.
SuperDave