2nd. oil change

I posted a few months back regarding the oil change interval recomended by Chevy on an 07 4cyl Colorado. The book says not to change oil until the "change oil " displays in odometer. The truck was new on 10-2-06. On
12-08-06 the indicator came on at 10,456 mi. We has oil changed and indicator reset. On 2-19-07 it came on again at 22,246 mi. I am still nervous running the oil so long. The owner of the company says not to worry. It will be interesting to see if any problems arise doen the road as the miles pile up. And to top that off, the shop that we use for service only uses the inexpensive Champ brand filters and no name " bulk" motor oil. So far the truck is trouble free and engine is smooth and quiet. It only used a 1/3 of a qt. of oil in the nearly 12,000 miles since last oil change. Scott
What a battle....oil companies say to change the oil every night after work....auto maker says run it nearly forever. (p.s. I am in the oil & gas biz;)
The computer keeps track of your driving conditions and predicts wear and tear on your oil. While this is a good concept, the accuracy is difficult to predict.
I've started testing the oil from my vehicles at http://www.oaitesting.com /. I sent a sample from my dad's engine in after 5500 mostly highway miles and two replacement quarts added (would improve life) and the test results showed it was time to change the oil.
You might consider grabbing a sample after 5K and sending it in.
At least go to that site and some of the others and read about oil and filter life and contaminates...then ....you make the call.
skimmer

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 05:32:29 GMT, "News Skimmer"

You can get buy with not changing oil much when new but you will pay for it later as the years and miles add up. After 3 to 5000 miles conventional oil has lost most of its abilty to neutralize acids in engine byproducts and most of its cleaning power too. The oil change indictor is more a sale thing than anything else because they charge you a arm and a leg to buy it and so they want you to thhink you are saving money on maintaining it. That system has no way of actually know the true condition of oil because you could put dirty oil in there at change and it will no change the intervals in software. Now if it actaully monitored oil condition that would be good but it does not. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
I have been running full synthetic Mobile one extended service 15.000 oil Each time the light comes on I change the oil filter and top off and am going to send in at the 15,000 mile mark for analysis. Will post results

I have done what you are doing, only I used Redline Oil. Though I don't have the test results any more as I did this back in '98, I do remember that buy doing this, the results basically indicated "normal" results. Since then, I have been doing that religiously and have never had a problem. My current Silvy has 180k on it, I run Royal Purple or Mobile 1, with a Bosch or Mobile 1 filter and have NO problems, not one oil leak (TC not withstanding) and no unusual oil consumption.