2nd Post

Hi All,

This is the second time for this post as the response was really low.

I am getting a humm in 4hi and it gets a little throatier in 4lo. I was wondering if I might have a bearing starting to tank. Has anyone noticed this? I am running full synthetic throughout the system.

Thanks,

Blair

Reply to
Blair

maybe if you posted a little more info, as to what year the truck was and what kind maybe someone would respond.

Reply to
Adam

What year Chevy/GMC are you referring to? Is it when accelerating, decelerating, cruising, or all the above? Have you pinpointed it in the t-case or front end? Does the 'humm' change when turning?

Just so we know, your not running on-road in 4WD are you? If so, you could be getting a bit of bind causing the 'humm'.

Reply to
Shades

Thanks to the two posts.

I am running a 98 GMC Sierra Z71 with an RCD 4"-6'" lift kit and 33" BFGoodrich All terrain's. I am running off road and was experiencing this humm mostly in 18" to 24" ruts full of mud and water. The hum is constant but less in the smooth trails and as the rpms go up, so does the humm

Thanks ,

Blair

Reply to
Blair

Automatic Trans? Was the lift installed EXACTLY by the directions? NO cut corners or 'that's close enough'? I don't deal too much with IFS lifts so someone else might be a better source. BUT, with any lift, driveline angles are different and too severe of an angle can definatly cause a vibration and/or hum.

Does the truck do it at all in 2WD? If not, I would definatly suggest front driveline or t-case, and only a slight maybe at the trans...extra load form driving 2 more tires and all the drive components and the t-case AND off-roading.

Keep us updated as you find or eliminate components.

Reply to
Shades

Hi Shades,

The truck doesn't make the noise in 2WD. The hum is fairly quiet in 4HI and gets louder and sounds a bit like it is groaning when climbing out of large ruts and heavy mudded terrain under 4LO. The lift kit was professionally installed by a very reputable 4WD centre and they back there work well. They in fact talked me out of two more inches of lift as they said it would start to compromise the satability and reliability of my driveline components.

Thanks so far for your input,

Blair

Reply to
Blair

How long has the lift been on? Could you get ahold of the shop and ask them to give you a free inspection to make sure everything is ok? The NP241 isn't exactly a strong t-case and might be getting warn enough from the extra load. The front diff is also only a 7.5"(if I remember correctly) which is a pretty weak pumpkin for that big of a rig PLUS bigger tires! The front diff internals are nearly the same strength as a rear diff internals in an S-10. Have it inspected. If it needs work, don't do OEM parts. Go with some really high grade perf stuff...Bearings, R&P, keep running the synthetic. In your own driveway you can check for loose u-joints(should all be greasable for longer life and maintenance), loose u-joint straps/u-bolts, loose wheel bearings assemblies, warn CV shafts, etc...

There typically is a small amount of 'humm' in 4WD, but it's better to have it checked out and be nothing than to let it slide and be stranded in front of all your Buddies! Trail fixes aren't cool unless you get to watch someone else fix someone else's rig.

"Blair" wrote in message news:lsW9f.4249$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Shades

Hi Shades,

Thanks for the input. I will have the shop install their install work and I will also look into upgrading the existing parts to some better stuff as advised.

Really appreciate the good advice,

Blair

Reply to
Blair

Let us know how the inspection turns out.

Try something for me, find a nice gravel, sand, dirt area that's fairly flat and smooth and test it in all directions, at various speeds, turning different amounts, accelerating and decelerating, etc...maybe even put it into 4LO and have a friend trot along side listening from both sides trying to find the area its coming form. Its always good to have a few ideas about what the problem is before going into a shop.

Reply to
Shades

Great advice, I'll do that this weekend. I think it might be a bearing but I'm not sure.

Blair

Reply to
Blair