3.73 + 3.06 + 305ci

'86 Siverado, 2WD, 31" tires....... I've got to decide whether to install a 3.73 or 3.42 rear end gears, to go with my 700R4 [3.06 first gear] and 305ci. The 3.42 would be best for first gear, but the 3.73
would be best for the remaining gears. The question I have, and would be thankful for regards; anyone's opinion of a 3.73 + 3.06 1st gear + a stock 305ci... would this produce a 'creeper gear', and too much load for a stock 305ci? Thanks for your help and time, GC

With 31's on it I'd drop 4.10's in there. The 700R4 has a low enough OD + lockup to keep the cruising RPM's reasonable, and the 4.10's will give you enough snort in 1st to get the damn thing going with that anemic 305.
Doc

I agree...Go with 4.10 gears! With the 30% OD you will have a final ratio about 2.90.

an '86 305 was what.... 135HP? -Bret

I believe that is the number Bret! The carbed 305's were pathetic little creatures.
Doc

Thanks folks... I had decided on the 3.42 some time ago, but that now seems a waste of money and time considering the out-come limitations. A 3.73 or 4.10 would give the 'feel' of much more power, and make a good light duty/recreational truck... something for camping, shopping, [light] hauling, and firewood, etc............ not a bad $2900.00 investment! Thanks again for the help, GC

OUCH. $2900 for the ring/pinion and install or $2900 for the truck? If you're paying that for the R&P, you're getting hosed, BIG TIME.
Doc

OUCH. $2900 for the ring/pinion and install or $2900 for the truck? If you're paying that for the R&P, you're getting hosed, BIG TIME. Doc ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, 2900.00 for the truck. A bit much, but it's in good shape... the interior, body, and a one owner. Nothing monkeyed with, which is worth almost as much--nothing to 'un-do' or 're-do', and I'm sure everyone knows what I mean, especially with older vehicles. I got lucky in that regard. I figure about $250.00 for parts, and maybe put it in myself. What is the hardest part, or specialty tools needed?
Unless you are a fairly accomplished mechanic, NOT a shade tree or hobby mechanic, DONT even attempt it. Back lash, clearences, crush sleave and/or shims... Not for even most moderate mechanics. Could destroy a whole rearend, a week, and a bank account!

GC wrote:

I'm running 30.5" tires with 4.10's and a 4L65E tranny (same first gear as the 700's I believe).
I love the 4.10's.
I'd at least go with the 3.73's.
-marc