350 tbi rolls over to much before starting

as above. 1990 tbi 350 it rolls over 8-12 times before starting and is a bitch in the cold... it will flood before it will start.. I changed the oil,
plugs (gapped @ 35) but it seems like no spark for 5-6 cranks then by the time it does, it is flooded.. Motor runs awesome once running, timing is right. It has a new ignition module in it, new 02 , new plugs, wires cap rotor. My friends truck is almost as bad.. Could it be the coil ?... HELP !
OH when I shut the truck off the pump runs for 15-20 seconds ...sometimes I can't even hear the pump when it is cold.. I was thinking fuel pump might be week but it runs fine warm .. and why does it flood the engine if it is bad ?.. .

It is normal for it to run a while at times on shut down (the pump). Have you changed fuel filer recently. I have seen car be hard to start and tend to flood a bit with they finailly light off with a plugged filter. Might do a fuel pressure check too if filter does not help. My 89 that I bought new may roll over a have dozen times or more before it lights off when it has been sitting for several days but it always lights off and sometimes it is a bit rich for about a minute top or less and then it smooths out nicely.Never worried about it because it has never failed to start and runs real well otherwise. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
I'll check that, Just weird how one day it rolls over 4 turns and starts.. then next 10-15 times.. then some cold days it won't even start..just floods.

Did you ever get this sorted out?? My '95 Jimmy does the same thing. I suspect a lazy coolant temp sensor or nasty vac leak. This has damn near left me stranded due to a near flooded motor. I'm going to change the ECT sensor tomorrow and report back. Thanks, Andrew.
in article KCdsh.443$ snipped-for-privacy@read1.cgocable.net, Chevrolet at snipped-for-privacy@cogeco.ca wrote on 1/19/07 7:45 PM:

Runs fine other then first start up. It has been starting a bit better as of late but I replaced the plugs wires cap and gapped the plugs .35.. made a big difference. they were .45 and that was the setting for Carb.. .35 is for TBI I am going have the distributor checked as someone told me there are magnets in it might be bad soewhere down in the distributor

Chevrolet wrote:

Did you unplug the tan wire on the firewall when you timed it?

yes... I had it @ 0 with wire unplugged running..but it ran like shit.. so I bumped it to 4 and it runs decent. It has been starting better but it seems like I have to give the throttle a slight tap when it is firing while rolling over to get it to start without the roll over almost start stutter..basically the starter keeping it going thing.

I run mine at 8 BTDC and never even try to use 87 octane. It running really well even after 180K miles. Gets better MPG than it should too. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
What Tan wire, sorry if it's a stupid question.
Blair

The tan wire that you unplug to tell the computer you are going to set the timing.....location varies