350 that hesitates when its cold- anyone have any ideas

Page 1 of 3
I have a 88 chev 4*4 which I put new wires,plugs,distributor cab,rotar,fuel filter,oil and filter and air filter. It still wants to bog down just as
I'm taking off or if I hit the gas to hard, to the point it almost stalls. It runs good at highway speed but seems to lag abit when idling. Any help would be great.
Thanks kev
Computer Tips & Tweaks
Builds/Upgrades/Repairs

one costs.Thanks.
Kev

Yes but that '87 was a carbureted engine. It isn't a "common problem with TB engines" it's a common problem in *.chevy.truck.
~KJ/TLGM

stalls.
help
Sorry KJ, That 87 FS Blazer IS a TB truck.
--
Computer Tips & Tweaks
Builds/Upgrades/Repairs

just

Any
Guess his 87 had been swapped, sorry for the arrogance.
~KJ/TLGM

almost
Computer Tips & Tweaks
Builds/Upgrades/Repairs

would the computer have to be changed if a 350 is put in. If so where is it located and is there any way of telling whether it has been changed?
Kev

it
Is there a letter "H" in your VIN? If so she had the 305 from the factory. If it was swapped over to a 350, the injectors and ECM PROM would have to be swapped out as well.
Doc

Wow, I would have thought the ECU would work for the 305/350 with the same PROM.
Let me guess-- injector table change for the bigger motor so it doesn't run lean?

factory.
be
WOW!
the miraculous powers of deduction?
Refinish King
PS Also the spark curve.

before
is
Nope.
The miraculous power of Some Wild-Ass Guess.
<with maybe a little light reading on EFI systems lately>

where
Good!
Readin ies good, ain a mind is a tewwible thang to wase, ain shiet!
Ief u giets whe I be comin from?
Refinish King

changed?
have

it is the right one for the engine.
Kev

Ok, your ECM is located behind the glove box. If you remove the glove box liner you'll have easy access to it. AFTER unplugging the battery, remove the ECM. There will be two access covers, one for the CALPAK, one for the PROM. The PROM is a standard ROM chip so it'll be easy to recognize. You need to get the P/N off of it and post it here.
Doc

Can you also look up the engine block # 0100793 to see if its a 350 I'm working on(I hope that is the engine block # it came off the back of the block). All I know is what the owner told me. For all I know he could be lying to me.Thanks for all the help!
Kev

That isn't the block number (or if it is, it sure ain't in my master listing). The block number should be just before the bellhousing on the back of the motor, almost directly below the distributor. It will be 8-digits long and should begin with the number 1. Sometimes the last 3 digits of the block casting # are stamped into the side of the block, right below where the heads bolt up. The last 3 digits will suffice if you can't find the entire casting #.
I can't find my listing of PROMS for your year, sorry. Call your local Chevy dealership and give him the P/N (the number is 192981397, the first digits are unimportant AFAIK) and see what he comes up with.
Doc