350 that hesitates when its cold- anyone have any ideas

I have a 88 chev 4*4 which I put new wires,plugs,distributor cab,rotar,fuel filter,oil and filter and air filter. It still wants to bog down just as I'm taking off or if I hit the gas to hard, to the point it almost stalls. It runs good at highway speed but seems to lag abit when idling. Any help would be great.

Thanks kev

Reply to
kev

cab,rotar,fuel

Checked the ignition timing lately?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

"\"Doc\"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

No I just assumed the guy who rebuilt it set the timing right. How many degrees from tdc is it suppose to be?

Reply to
kev

"JR" wrote in news:WKvyc.3307$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

one costs.Thanks.

Kev

Reply to
kev

With the EST unplugged (MUST be unplugged) it should be right at TDC (or

0*BTDC). You can run it up to 4*BTDC without issue.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Ping Doc, et al:

got an 89 S10 Blazer, Vin Z, TBI, 4.3, 700R4:

new TPS, IAC, cleaned and rebuilt TBI, new FPR , CTS, MAF sensor, O2 sensor. Basically everything but the knock sensor.

I'm running rich as evidenced by the soot-coated exhaust pipe and the smell of gas at the pipe.

Computer throws no codes, I have logged data from WinALDL but am not sure how to interpret it.

Am installing an Air/fuel gauge, but haven't had time to do more than physically mount it due to the weather and having my garage full of crap .

No info on fuel pressure. I would assume a dying fuel pump would put out less fuel and therefore make the engine run lean.

Air filter is a K&N, and is cleaned regularly.

Checked base spark timing as per the manual- disconnect the ESC wire, set timing to 4deg BTDC, reconnect. When I check the timing during operation, it retards to abotu 10deg BTDC. So apparently there is something being told to the ECU to make it retard. I can hear no spark knock or other mechanical noises other than a tapping exhaust pipe or something of the sort at idle, which goes away with application of throttle. Again, haven't had time to investigate.

I'm getting 14MPG, and I bet if I track this down I can get 3 more. She's running REALLY retarded and really rich...

ideas?

Doc- you said something about the HB being off a tad- how would one check for that? I know normally you can pull a plug, put a dowel in the motor, and turn it over by hand till you're at TDC and compare the HB's position re: the timing marks. However, this basically being a smallblock- the spark plugs enter the head at an angle, so that would be a ballpark operation at best.

Reply to
burntkat

sorry- meant to post a new thread.

MAF

Reply to
burntkat

Yes but that '87 was a carbureted engine. It isn't a "common problem with TB engines" it's a common problem in *.chevy.truck.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Sorry KJ, That 87 FS Blazer IS a TB truck.

Reply to
JR

Funny, the BLAZER isn't. Maybe a TRUCK. Not a BLAZER (always behind the times). Worked on an 87 blazer before, sorry.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

The 87 Blazers and Burbs were EFI. The body style is always a few years behind, the drivetrains are not.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Guess his 87 had been swapped, sorry for the arrogance.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

"JR" wrote in news:WKvyc.3307$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

would the computer have to be changed if a 350 is put in. If so where is it located and is there any way of telling whether it has been changed?

Kev

Reply to
kev

news:WKvyc.3307$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Is there a letter "H" in your VIN? If so she had the 305 from the factory. If it was swapped over to a 350, the injectors and ECM PROM would have to be swapped out as well.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Wow, I would have thought the ECU would work for the 305/350 with the same PROM.

Let me guess-- injector table change for the bigger motor so it doesn't run lean?

Reply to
burntkat

WOW!

the miraculous powers of deduction?

Refinish King

PS Also the spark curve.

Reply to
Refinish King

Nope.

The miraculous power of Some Wild-Ass Guess.

Reply to
burntkat

Good!

Readin ies good, ain a mind is a tewwible thang to wase, ain shiet!

Ief u giets whe I be comin from?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King