350 to a 305

will a 305 bolt on to a 350 5 speed tranny. i love the power in my truck but have the gas pumps. would i notice any difference( getting 14 on a good day currently ) if i went to a 305. thanks. no major towing in the future for this truck.

Reply to
mat

It has been my observation that the 305 doesn't get any better gas mileage than a 350. You need to get a smaller truck with a 6 cylinder if you won't tow anything anymore.

Reply to
Bob Muse

In my experience they get the same mileage, and the 350 puts out WAY more power, so I wouldn't convert if I were you!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I have heard that trucks with 4.3L 6 cyl actually get worse gas milage than the same truck with a 305 so just because it is a smaller engine doesn't mean it is better on gas milage you have to remember the smaller engine needs to work harder to move the same amount of weight (generally speaking.) my $0.02

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Stick with the 350 for ALL the reasons above! And for the fact that when it needs a rebuild it will cost 1/3 less to put the exact same stuff into a 350 compared to a 305!

Reply to
Shades

If only someone had a list of the identical parts for vehicles so half of us wouldn't be charged 3 to 4 times as much for the same exact part un-knowingly.

Corey

when it needs a rebuild it will cost 1/3

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Yup. I've got a 4.3L in my K1500. I get about 11-12 MPG, and drive pretty conservatively. Some day I'll swap in a 350. Untill then, I can only dream.

-NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

damn... I've got a 350 in my K2500... 16 years old and still getting between 13 and 15 MPG. I'd never buy a 4.3 in a full size.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

which is EXACTLY why I'm putting a 350 in my Blazer after the solid axle swap....

Reply to
burntkat

Reply to
Elbert

i got a 305 in my '89 2500 w/ 5 spd...feels like it has more balls than my work truck which is a '90 454 in a 3500 auto, both are long beds. could be because of the trannies, i really don't know but fully loaded with sand, the 305 really hauls...it really impressed me especially when i compared it to my old truck which was a '88 f150 with a 302 5 spd, short bed.

Reply to
Kawika

I used to have a '93 c1500 with the 4.3L in it. It got 18-19 mpg on the interstate. I pulled my fishing boat and car trailer with it just fine. Sure it didn't have the power of a 350, but it got the job done. Also had 216,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, original engine and tranny still running good. I think that if you have somthing you can't haul with this engine, then you are asking too much of a 1/2 ton truck in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love the power of a 350... Just had to defend the good ol' 4.3L.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

I'll second that.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

I bet the timing chain on your 454 is going out. Had one that was way off on my 72' chevelle and it got *almost* 9MPG and couldn't get out of it's own way.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

nope, had a fleet of 6 3500 c's and k's, 4 with utility beds, 2 fleetside longbeds, all 454, 4 speed auto o/d...all operated the same (same power curve - which was somewhat lacking, brakes overheating - especially when going downhill, drank gas like it was beer - especially while towing, window regulator rotting away, etc.). the ones with the utility beds were the worst performing. now we're down to 2 - a utility bed and my longbed...i got the 2500 for free (i had to put a little work into it) but i was kind of hesitant in taking it because of my experiences with the 3500s but i'm glad i did...turns out to be a pretty good pickup.

Reply to
Kawika

Cool to hear. I can notice the difference between the 305 in my K5 (carb) and the 350 in my Jimmy (FI) but it didn't rock my world like I thought it would. I'd still like 4 on the floor.... just love drivng the stick!

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

STICK WITH THE 350 IN ALL ITS THE BEST ALL PURPOSE ENGINE...THE 305 IS JUNK..UNLESS IT'S A HI-OUT PUT 1 !!!!..WORST THING ABOUT TE 305 IS THEIR POOR HEADS ...SPARK NOCK CITY NO MATTER WATT OCTANE YOU USE

Reply to
Chris D

Funny,

I've logged over 300K miles on various 305's and never had one knock..............................

Doc

P.S. Lose the goddamn caps lock.

Reply to
"Doc"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reply to
Chris D

Unintelligent and immature, a winning combination. You goddamn webbies are all the same.....................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"