350 to a 305

Page 1 of 2
will a 305 bolt on to a 350 5 speed tranny. i love the power in my truck but have the gas pumps. would i notice any difference( getting 14 on a good
day currently ) if i went to a 305. thanks. no major towing in the future for this truck.
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:45:13 -0700, "mat"

It has been my observation that the 305 doesn't get any better gas mileage than a 350. You need to get a smaller truck with a 6 cylinder if you won't tow anything anymore.
I'll second that.
~KJ/TLGM
wrote:

good
future

good
In my experience they get the same mileage, and the 350 puts out WAY more power, so I wouldn't convert if I were you!
Doc
I have heard that trucks with 4.3L 6 cyl actually get worse gas milage than the same truck with a 305 so just because it is a smaller engine doesn't mean it is better on gas milage you have to remember the smaller engine needs to work harder to move the same amount of weight (generally speaking.) my $0.02
Corey

good

than
speaking.)
Yup. I've got a 4.3L in my K1500. I get about 11-12 MPG, and drive pretty conservatively. Some day I'll swap in a 350. Untill then, I can only dream.
-NW

damn... I've got a 350 in my K2500... 16 years old and still getting between 13 and 15 MPG. I'd never buy a 4.3 in a full size.
-Bret
I used to have a '93 c1500 with the 4.3L in it. It got 18-19 mpg on the interstate. I pulled my fishing boat and car trailer with it just fine. Sure it didn't have the power of a 350, but it got the job done. Also had 216,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, original engine and tranny still running good. I think that if you have somthing you can't haul with this engine, then you are asking too much of a 1/2 ton truck in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, I love the power of a 350... Just had to defend the good ol' 4.3L.
Tony

which is EXACTLY why I'm putting a 350 in my Blazer after the solid axle swap....

nothing gained by going from a 350 to a 305 at least the 350 has a little power
On 27 May 2004 06:40:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil

nope, had a fleet of 6 3500 c's and k's, 4 with utility beds, 2 fleetside longbeds, all 454, 4 speed auto o/d...all operated the same (same power curve - which was somewhat lacking, brakes overheating - especially when going downhill, drank gas like it was beer - especially while towing, window regulator rotting away, etc.). the ones with the utility beds were the worst performing. now we're down to 2 - a utility bed and my longbed...i got the 2500 for free (i had to put a little work into it) but i was kind of hesitant in taking it because of my experiences with the 3500s but i'm glad i did...turns out to be a pretty good pickup.

Cool to hear. I can notice the difference between the 305 in my K5 (carb) and the 350 in my Jimmy (FI) but it didn't rock my world like I thought it would. I'd still like 4 on the floor.... just love drivng the stick!
~KJ/TLGM

I had a 4.3 in a 92 4x4 S10 the best i got was 15mi per gal.
Stick with the 350 for ALL the reasons above! And for the fact that when it needs a rebuild it will cost 1/3 less to put the exact same stuff into a 350 compared to a 305!
| will a 305 bolt on to a 350 5 speed tranny. i love the power in my truck | but have the gas pumps. would i notice any difference( getting 14 on a good | day currently ) if i went to a 305. thanks. no major towing in the future | for this truck. | |
If only someone had a list of the identical parts for vehicles so half of us wouldn't be charged 3 to 4 times as much for the same exact part un-knowingly.
Corey

truck
good
future
STICK WITH THE 350 IN ALL ITS THE BEST ALL PURPOSE ENGINE...THE 305 IS JUNK..UNLESS IT'S A HI-OUT PUT 1 !!!!..WORST THING ABOUT TE 305 IS THEIR POOR HEADS ...SPARK NOCK CITY NO MATTER WATT OCTANE YOU USE

Funny,
I've logged over 300K miles on various 305's and never had one knock..............................
Doc
P.S. Lose the goddamn caps lock.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA