36" 22.5" tires on 83 GMC 3500

235/80R22.5 is the tire size, on 7.5" width rims. 9.2" tire width
It LOOKS like they will fit with about an inch clearance to the front and rear in the front wheelwell.
The back wheelwell is no problem.
Anybody do this? I'd hate to have to drop back and settle for those pussy 19.5" rims.. ":<)
Why not just buy a Kenworth or Peterbilt and be done with it?

Because I love my dually crew cab 454 with the LPG conversion, and I'm going to tow a 5th wheel with it, and after the interior work is done I'm popping for some wheels. that's why.
Also, it will be unique, or semi-unique. The new dodge trucks have 20" rims, and they look great.
The truck is in superb condition mechanically, with a manual tranny that is extremely rare in California. They were never sold here as new vehicles.
So there you have it. If nobody knows the answer, a reference to somebody who might know the answer would be appreciated.
i would be willing to have the wheelwells enlarged, with a "skirt", if need be: but do not know who does that. does anybody?
to tell the truth, I'm asking this question in order to try to find out something, and find the exercise to explain WHY I'm asking the question somwhat counterproductive.
If I wanted a Kenworth, or Peterbuilt, I sure would not be asking questions about it in alt.autos 4X4.chevy-trucks.
Somehow,on 13 Nov 2003 21:40:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Davedude11) managed to spout out:

I'd be interested to see some pics when you're done.
Mike `02 Silverado 2500HD
didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I think it will probably look good, myself, when you're finished if it's done right.
LPG, huh? Did you buy a kit, or put all the parts together and come up with your own system? What results have you seen and in what time frame?
have a good weekend, Snowman

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:22:56 -0500, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote:

a side note: the local provider of propane gas used to run LPG powered 460 Ford F700 delivery trucks. the drivers hated them... if I remember correctly "gutless pig" was the most often used description. they only got between 2-3 MPG and were eventually replaced with International 4300's with the DT466 much to the driver's delight. from my personal experiance, you give up alot going to propane and all you get is the ability to run it inside.
-Bret

Bret, there's your problem right there. A (460) + (5ton) = Crap

my personal experience with gassers running LPG has mostly been with construction equipment that are dual fueled. you'd lose about 30% of your available power while running LPG over gas. didn't matter whether it was a 4x4 lift or a bobcat or whatever.
-Bret
what happens when the springs compress and the axle moves to the rear? I think it would look pretty cool.
Thanks for the interest.
The LPG conversion was on the Idaho registered truck when i got it 10 years ago.
I got it to pull a 9,000 lb boat, but I'm renovating the truck and selling the boat. Anybody want a nice 30 foot Land and Sea boat and trailer? Fly bridge, complete galley Volvo Duo Prop generator, blah blah blah.
I'm pulling the LPG tank (temporarily) to have a color- fast spray in light tan or cream bed liner sprayed in. The 2 part epoxy based system will also run up and over the cab roof in that color.
Because i trashed both chopped-fiberglass fenders in an incident trying to pull a farm tractor out of a pond, (groan; don't ask.. ":<( ) I have acquired two after market "laid up" fiberglass fenders, and they also are getting the same "bed liner" treatment, as are the running boards.
Also, if I have to have the front fenderwells hogged out, I will install after market fender "flares" that also will be so coated.
The metallic brown color of the lower color in the factory three-color sytem will be maintained (although repainted), but the middle orange color will thankfully be replaced with some integrating color between the brown and cream: probably a bronze flavor of some sort.
Then, the interior will be renewed, with captains chairs and console. Because I have two dogs, likely we won't do much with the back seat. however, i intend to do as much soundproofing throughout as possible.
I'm keeping the manual windows, but installing an electric rear window slider that i can operate from the driver's position. Ever since I had a Toyota 4Runner with an electric rear gate window, I've realized how great it is to be able to "make a hole" into the vacuum (relatively speaking) that exis behind the cab.. makes tuning the ventilation OH SO cool..
Hell, and my truck has windwings too! Best of both worlds. (Why TF did they do away with windwings?? stoooopid..)
anyway, the wheels and tires and adapters will be the biggest single expenditure, but I'm planning on between $12K and $15K by time it's done.
============== To think it all started with a water pump..
It was leaking, and I took it to a mechanic, being a lazy fxxxx, and it turned into radiator and steering box replacement, front end work, tune up, and etc adding up to near $3K.
so I figgerred WTF: it's been a real good truck: I've been thinking about eventually getting a 5th wheel travel trailer: it has been fitted with 2 types of 5th wheel attachment points, as well as a heavy duty bumper hitch type: new ones ar WAY to expensive, and the rig has only 103,000 miles on it.
Only bad thing is that it likely will be to pretty for me to take through the brush, trees, and other scratchy places it's taken me while hunting from time to time.. oh well..........