4 WD actuator keeps failing

My 98 Silverado Z71 has just had its 4th 4WD actuator replaced with only 60K miles. In Jan 04 at 56K miles, I was told it had water in it & the front
differential. I thought they were BSing me so I left pissed. Since they guaranteed both parts & labor for 12 mo/12K mi, they told me the actuator sits on top of the diff (not very high), isn't watertight, & delivers water into the front diff. They told me the sames true with all 4x4s except the Hummer. Can this be true? I guess my next 4x4 will be ordered with the manual floor shift to switch from 2 to 4WD.
I would have to say they are full of shi*! I am not 100% sure, but the actuator IS water/oil tight! As is the diff with the exception of the vent on the drivers side of the pumpkin. A big plastic cover plugs a big hole that has a semi-small hose running up to keep rain and most shallow water out. I could possibly get corrected on this, so don't go off half-cocked.
| My 98 Silverado Z71 has just had its 4th 4WD actuator replaced with only 60K | miles. In Jan 04 at 56K miles, I was told it had water in it & the front | differential. I thought they were BSing me so I left pissed. Since they | guaranteed both parts & labor for 12 mo/12K mi, they told me the actuator | sits on top of the diff (not very high), isn't watertight, & delivers water | into the front diff. They told me the sames true with all 4x4s except the | Hummer. Can this be true? I guess my next 4x4 will be ordered with the | manual floor shift to switch from 2 to 4WD. | |

To add, a manual-shift t-case will have the SAME setup on the front axle...
I would have hoped that you learned your lesson after the buying the first one. The actuator is water resistant....not water proof. They are designed for driving thru the rain, not crossing rivers. If you insist on chasing submarines you will have to lengthen the vent tube higher than the potential water line. Scrap the electronics and retrofit the cable operated actuator or spread RTV completely over the electronics/connections and hope it stays dry.
--
Mad Dog