40 degrees F. and oil

I may be too old for this group, I dunno. I worked at home all day today. Didn't go anywhere, until I went and fired up ole double 8 a little while ago and headed off for a Snicker's Ice Cream Cone. Yep,
the one in the sugar cone? Well, at 40F w/10w40 in er guts she popped right off and ran just like she was already warm.
This thing only has about 3K on rebuild, I'm up for my 4th oil change. 1st @ 500, 2nd @ 1K, 3rd @ 2K. If it stays this cold, or looks like its gonna get colder, I might put 10w-30 in 'er. I dunno.
Hatt
DJ, The only number that is relevant, at cold temp, is the one folled by the W. So a 5W-30 or 5W-40 is preferable to a 10W anything... I run 5W-30 year around, in my cars. The second number is specified at 200 defrees F. 5W at 0 degrees is still a lot thicker than 40 or 50 at 200F Dan
wrote:

Colorado Springs, CO My advice may be worth what you paid for it.
Replied to in the format in which it was formatted by first reply:
Hi Dan,
My book/model specific manual says if the temperature is expected to be over 60 degrees, using 5w30 is a no-no. This time of year it can easily be that during the day while it can be in the low 40's and even 30's here at night.
Hatt

Yep,
popped
change.
put
Re: 40 degrees F. and oil Top post... Dan your on the money pal..... Hatt on the other hand hmmmmmmm....Dude put down the books you read .....You can really tell when someone just acts like they know what they are talking about....AND YOU SOUND LIKE ONE OF THEM...What is it you actually specialize in? When you read your last post you telling everyone if it gets to 60 degrees WHAT????? If the temp is expected to be over 60 degrees 5w30 is a no-no...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA.....God dont let marsh see this one..Where do you get your info? Steve C (I have 9 ASE certifications except transmissions and never seen this on a test).
Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Oct 17, 2003, 5:46pm From: snipped-for-privacy@lycosSPAM.com (DJHatt) Replied to in the format in which it was formatted by first reply: Hi Dan, My book/model specific manual says if the temperature is expected to be over 60 degrees, using 5w30 is a no-no. This time of year it can easily be that during the day while it can be in the low 40's and even 30's here at night. Hatt
DJ, The only number that is relevant, at cold temp, is the one folled by the W. So a 5W-30 or 5W-40 is preferable to a 10W anything... I run 5W-30 year around, in my cars. The second number is specified at 200 defrees F. 5W at 0 degrees is still a lot thicker than 40 or 50 at 200F Dan
Are you a youngster? My Chevrolet owners manual says; don't use 5w30 in over sixty degree F. weather. I could, and can scan and post a picture of this to prove it to a binary group if you like, but I want to have your wager before I do that. How much are willing to wager?
[...]
Genius,
he's got a 1988 S10 w/ a 2.5l 4 banger. back in '88 GM specifically says not to use 5w30 in gas engines above 60F. here's the excerpt from my '88 C/K owner's manual..... page 5-6 to be exact....
"However, where the outside temperature is expected to be below 16C (60F) prior to the next oil change, an SF/CC-quality, SAE 5W-30, Energy-Conserving oil provides improved starting performance."
as far as marshy goes..... you might need his porta-power to get your foot out of your mouth.
-Bret
Re: 40 degrees F. and oil Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Oct 17, 2003, 10:47pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@notgonnatellya.net (BretChase)
Re: 40 degrees F. and oil Top post... Dan your on the money pal..... Hatt on the other hand hmmmmmmm....Dude put down the books you read .....You can really tell when someone just acts like they know what they are talking about....AND YOU SOUND LIKE ONE OF THEM...What is it you actually specialize in? When you read your last post you telling everyone if it gets to 60 degrees WHAT????? If the temp is expected to be over 60 degrees 5w30 is a no-no...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA.....God dont let marsh see this one..Where do you get your info? Steve C (I have 9 ASE certifications except transmissions and never seen this on a test). Genius, he's got a 1988 S10 w/ a 2.5l 4 banger. back in '88 GM specifically says not to use 5w30 in gas engines above 60F. here's the excerpt from my '88 C/K owner's manual..... page 5-6 to be exact.... "However, where the outside temperature is expected to be below 16C (60F) prior to the next oil change, an SF/CC-quality, SAE 5W-30, Energy-Conserving oil provides improved starting performance." as far as marshy goes..... you might need his porta-power to get your foot out of your mouth. -Bret
Genius why thank you... Foot out of my mouth ? OK mr know it all ill school you too....In 1988 Gm came out with 3 sizes of engines for this truck...the 151 2.5 173 2.8 and the 262 4.3 .Seeming you also ran and got your owners manual . Where in it does it say NOT to use 5w-30 over 60 degrees? You yourself just quoted the book. It says it provides improved starting performance under 60 degrees.. BUT WHERE DOES IT SAY NOT TO USE IT OVER 60 DEGREES? Get my foot out of m mouth.....After i get my foot out of your ASS. Read what was posted pgs 5-6 to be exact.....Also where in the post does it say what kind of engine he has? Its not like they only had one for that year and model. You came out with this he got a four banger. How would i know he didnt state which one he had .Ive update pages in the GM owners manuals working at dealerships that most customers dont even know they are supposed to have.... In the book it should say use only certified GM parts do you do that or do you goto auto zone and get what is cheapest? GM also states that dex cool should be used in some models but do they tell you it corrodes the hell out of your engine ?NOOOOOOOOOOOO ...So where does it state in your book that you dont use 5w30 in gas engines over 60 degrees????? Also seeming oil had evolved since then have you seen what everyones putting in their autos out of the factory...That 5w30 on the filler cap isnt just there for looks...... Steve C (waiting for another master lawnmower machanic to school him)
inline...
<SNIP>

it says " if the temp will be below 60, you can use 5w30"... that implicitly states that if it's going to be over 60 you aren't supposed to use it. the little chart just below my quote shows an arrow pointing DOWN from 60 F for 5w-30 also.

he's got the 2.8..... I mis remembered from other posts... do you have the capability of remembering from one post to the next?

nope, i go to NAPA.
>GM also states that dex cool should be used in some

can't you read?

funny... my '88's cap says use 10w30.
TOP POST..... MR BRET .....He has a 4.3 which is a 6cyl . Not only did you NOT get his engine size right. You failed to state when quoting the manual that gm says do not use 5w30 in engines over (60F) for the 2.2l never the less any other. You have just proved important point I was trying to make. About people posting while reading a manual trying to sound like they know what they are talking about. Now i see why its so easy for most people to talk out their asses....Because it kind of hard to speak normally with their foot in their mouth..Ill have Marsh loan YOU his porta_power or has your foot grown there... Steve C (never meet mr goodwrench but has dated his wife a couple times)
[...]
I always thought that a 5w oil was for areas where the temp was cnsistently below 0 degrees F. It gets cold here in the winter but rarely gets to 0.
I use Castrol Syntec 5w 50 in the winter and I've never had a problem with starting or engine damage. In the summer, I go to a 20w 50 Syntec. If I were using a regular motor oil, I would probably use a 10w 30 or a 10w 40 in winter. Since the lower number refers to the ability to flow at lower temps, I don't think if matters once the oil is warmed up.
I spent one winter n upstate New York and I (knowing little about oil at the time) ran straight 30 weight oil in my 62 Ford 6-banger. The first day the temp dropped down near zero, I couldn't get my engine to rotate (the oil was like syrup). I ended up having the car towed to a garage for an emergency oil change.
he's got the 2.8.... apparantly you can't read very well. I never said anything about a 2.2l
-Bret
[...]
I got my owner's manual out to scan the pages I was offering for evidence to back up the over 60F comment. After looking at it, I noticed my claim is engine specific to the 4.3. I will scan and post it if you like. It does not apply to my engine, as I do not have the 4.3 engine. So, if you want to wager that this GM recommendation for the 4.3 is not so, tell me which binary group you'd like me to post it to. 5w30, is recommended for the 2.8 from about -30F to over 100F. I think thats rediculous.
I hardly see why these two different engines would have different oil recommendations, but they do. My guess would be that the 4.3 runs hotter, possibley because it has less room in the S-10 engine compartment. If its because of beefier mechanics, I still find it hard to believe the 2.8, while gutless, is so delicate as to require such thin oil.
Hatt
Hatt
Posted two jpeg scans to alt.binaries just now, under the subject heading, "Oil and Temperature." This second scan post regards factory recommendations for the 2.8. It says you can use straight 30W down to as low as 40F and 10w30 as cold as 0F. 5w30, [according to the manual and my understanding of it's graph, for this engine], it's AT LEAST implied that 5w30 is ONLY the best choice oil to use from 0F and below.
And Bret, yes I do have an S-10 with a 2.5 four banger, too, but its a 91. Have never had to do a single repair to it other than water pump.
Hatt
DJ, The only number that is relevant, at cold temp, is the one folled by the W. So a 5W-30 or 5W-40 is preferable to a 10W anything... I run 5W-30 year around, in my cars. The second number is specified at 200 defrees F. 5W at 0 degrees is still a lot thicker than 40 or 50 at 200F Dan
I *knew* you had one
-Bret

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/which30weightoildoiuse.htm
For you popular mechanic guys here is a certified link ....With information on the subject ..These guys dont say what they read with out reallt knowing the facts....Your right i did read the post wrong i thought he was stating he had a 3.8 ..Glad i got corrected by the guy who said he had a 2.5... Which is a engine they didnt have for that model that year...Yes i do remember what i said from post to post ...You not being able too just shows how dumb founded you really are...In the little post you quoted out of the owners manuel you you stated do not use 5w30 below 60 degrees. now your saying you didnt....You caim to know what your talking about but you keep contradicting yourself....Tell ya what have the pro's in the above link tell me your right . Other wise dont waste your time in here ... Everyone can see who much you really know.. Steve C
THe troll rears his ugly head yet again...
DJ, The only number that is relevant, at cold temp, is the one folled by the W. So a 5W-30 or 5W-40 is preferable to a 10W anything... I run 5W-30 year around, in my cars. The second number is specified at 200 defrees F. 5W at 0 degrees is still a lot thicker than 40 or 50 at 200F Dan
WHERE IS MARSH IN ALL THIS.... I am curious of what you might chime in on all this Marsh.
... ... Re: 40 degrees F. and oil(attn Marsh) Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Oct 18, 2003, 8:45pm From: shades snipped-for-privacy@netins.net (Shades)
WHERE IS MARSH IN ALL THIS.... I am curious of what you might chime in on all this Marsh.
..... ..... Marsh Monster had read enough and was ready when he wrote.....
I jest figured he was doing a good enough job by himself.......
He didn't need my help making him look like and ASS (oops.....ASE) Certifide Moechanic...
I really liked the part about the 3.8ltr in the S-10 too......must be a new test question on the ASS (oops.....there i go again...ASE) test.
MarshMonster thinks we need to get some of that ass-cetification out ole steve before it chokes him.....
~~"chains steve's ankles down tight on the Frame Rack.....hooks a clamp on his tong and hooks it up to the hydraulic ram.....plugs in the air hose....puts his foot on the pedal..... 'hold on there steve...you might feel a little pressure'....the port-a-power just won't do this time".....I'm sorry~~ ..... .... The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (SteveCook) wrote..... <snippant>
Hatt on the other hand hmmmmmmm....Dude put down the books you read ....
<snipped> (I have 9 ASE certifications except transmissions and never seen this on a test).
in a later post in the thread..... Steve Cook wrote..
i thought he was stating he had a 3.8 ..Glad i got corrected by the guy who said he had a 2.5...
The 3.8 was a typo.....Not hard to do considering the 3 is next too the 2.....The 3.8 was not in S10 it was in the lumina silhouette and transport vans...The 3.8 was manufactured by the Buick division...I have a typo and the world goes to shit....You have a guy talking through his ass Quoting a owners manual ...When he dont even understand what hes saying?Contradicts himself and still did not prove that you cany use that type of oil below 60 degrees...Well i guess someone has to look out for the idiots(oops the little guy so to speak) One thing Marsh Scribb or what ever you call your self now....I like you you have spunk...BUt how can you ride my ass when in one group your helpping a guy with his body work. And in the next group your laughing him out of the group because he quoted popular mechanics? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa FUCK IT lets get a BEER Steve C
I'm not disputing what owners manual says, I know how multigrade oils work, and I'm telling you the manuals are wrong. For the most part, manuals are not written by engineers, but by tech writers, and a lot of them simply don't have a clue. Always select your oil for the coldest temperatures you expect to run in that period. Again I state, that 5W-xx is thicker at 0F than 50 at 200 degrees F. Go to the SAE website and read about viscosity. The low number also considers pumpability, as well as pour point, probably the most important parameter, when cold. You can run a 0W-30 in temperatures from colderthanheck to hotterthanheck, unless the engine was designed with larger clearances, then you could go to 0W-40.\The bottom number can't get to small. The first Mobil 1 could only be had in 5W-20, and my cars ran great on it. No they are making it again, in 0W-20 to improve gas milage. Specified for new Hondas and Fords. It depends on clearances and differential speeds between moving parts. The viscosity of the oil is not what provides the load capality, but a hydronamic wedge of very high pressure is creatated by the moving parts, until they go too slow, like lugging the engine. The oil pump pressure supplies some volume of oil to replenish the supply and remove heat from the bearing, and that is it's only funcion. The only time the film strength is really important is when the relative speeds are very low, and the hydrodynamic wedge fails to carry the load. Well, I got carried away --- Dan